Culturing daphnia outside

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have very nearly been successful in culturing daphnia inside using spirulina powder and yeast however I always seem to end up over feeding or something just goes wrong! So now, considering its nearly March, I figure I can probably start culturing daphnia outside. I have acces to these conditions/supplies and I am wondering if this is suitabke for culturing:
; 6-10 degrees celcius day time temperature (gradually increasing)
; 4x3x3' pond/tank
; yeast and spirulina powder
; pet shop daphnia (pretty high quality - i order it for delivery to my home. I have no access to wild daphnia, all ponds in my area are full of sticklebacks!)

Thanks,

alexps

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
alex
I used to collect mine from a slow part of thre Leven between Markinch and coaltown of Balgonie some years i collected from the pond between Leslie and Glenrothes not sure if its changed as i left Fife in 2006

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
Don't see why you shouldn't start now, my outdoor cultures usually start producing about this time (though I haven't checked them yet this year).

You don't need many Daphnia to start with- I started an indoor culture last year in an 18" tank with only 20 Daphnia, and it was teeming with them after a month.

I have started cultures with pet shop Daphnia before, but the last time I did this they died off over the winter, while the wild ones survived.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a question regarding culturing daphnia outside. Currently I have a big tub outside that I filled with a small amount of algae and daphnia that I got from a little ditch at my mom's house. It was swarming with daphnia at the time so I only took one small container with me and figured I could go back and get more when needed. I wasnt thinking about it drying up, which it did the very next week. I fill my tub when it gets low with pond water or when it rains it gets more water. There's a healthy amount of algae in it and lots of daphnia now which have been keeping my 30 some larvae happily fed. My question is what do you guys do about the mosquito larvae?? I know newts love them but mine are too small for that now, plus they are kept in open shallow containers and I don't want uneaten ones to turn to mosquitos in my house. Even the parents tank has a screen lid but the holes are probably big enough for them to fly out so I don't want to bring them inside. Just wondering if you guys had any insight for me on this. I keep my tub in my front yard so I can access it easily and I don't want to have a bunch of mosquitos hanging around there as my daughter and I like to spend alot of time out there.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
Increasing aeration is a great suggestion, but I know for me I did not want a power cord out all summer. So I just got some cheese cloth and a large rubber band to hold it in place. This has worked very well for me - I've been culturing daphnia in a 5 gallon bucket and harvest pretty heavily every few days. And the cheese cloth breathes just fine and allows algae to continue growing to feed the daphnia.

I am rubbish at culturing daphnia inside, but have been very pleased with my covered 5 gallon bucket on the patio system!

HJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what the tiny worms are that are living in my outdoor daphnia tub? Some are very very tiny, and white? Some are bigger and bright red.at they just mosquito larvae?? I wondered if I should try letting the larvae eat them also. A few larvae have all four legs now, most of them have the front two, and quite a few are sprouting the back 2. I also wondered if anyone had a good way to feed the daphnia to the larvae without getting all that nasty green gunk that's at the bottom. I tried using a brine shrimp net and rinsing them but that seemed to kill some of the daphnia. I use a turkey baster to get them from the tub. I add more pond water in a shallow container and try my hardest to only get daphnia and no green gunk but it's very very time consuming.

Hardwarehank

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Does anyone know what the tiny worms are that are living in my outdoor daphnia tub? Some are very very tiny, and white? Some are bigger and bright red.at they just mosquito larvae?? I wondered if I should try letting the larvae eat them also. A few larvae have all four legs now, most of them have the front two, and quite a few are sprouting the back 2. I also wondered if anyone had a good way to feed the daphnia to the larvae without getting all that nasty green gunk that's at the bottom. I tried using a brine shrimp net and rinsing them but that seemed to kill some of the daphnia. I use a turkey baster to get them from the tub. I add more pond water in a shallow container and try my hardest to only get daphnia and no green gunk but it's very very time consuming.
I don't have a good answer for most of your questions but the red worm looking dealies are most likely bloodworms and if they are they should be safe to feed to your larvae.

eyrops

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Steve Morse
I have very nearly been successful in culturing daphnia inside using spirulina powder and yeast however I always seem to end up over feeding or something just goes wrong! So now, considering its nearly March, I figure I can probably start culturing daphnia outside. I have acces to these conditions/supplies and I am wondering if this is suitabke for culturing:
; 6-10 degrees celcius day time temperature (gradually increasing)
; 4x3x3' pond/tank
; yeast and spirulina powder
; pet shop daphnia (pretty high quality - i order it for delivery to my home. I have no access to wild daphnia, all ponds in my area are full of sticklebacks!)

Thanks,
I culture daphnia outside, and have found sludgemunkey's .doc very helpful: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...eral-discussion/82640-lazy-mass-cultures.html I don't follow all his recommendations but use the same general approach. My buckets, tubs, & wading pool in the ground freeze in the winter (buckets sometimes break). The daphnia hatch out in the spring and produce most of the summer in northern Minnesota.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing that document. Very close to what i have been doing, but I got alot of helpful info from it. I definetly take a lazy approach, haha. I also looked them up and figured out i did have bloodworms in there, i hadn't seem them before because i usually harvest during the daytime. I didnt expect to accidentally have live bloodworms!

Buyaxolotls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you share how your 5g bucket setup is done? I'd like to get a culture going and it wells be great if i can do it outside.
Increasing aeration is a great suggestion, but I know for me I did not want a power cord out all summer. So I just got some cheese cloth and a large rubber band to hold it in place. This has worked very well for me - I've been culturing daphnia in a 5 gallon bucket and harvest pretty heavily every few days. And the cheese cloth breathes just fine and allows algae to continue growing to feed the daphnia.

I am rubbish at culturing daphnia inside, but have been very pleased with my covered 5 gallon bucket on the patio system!

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: AidanD has left the room. +1