Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Culturing Earthworms

oregon newt

Reaction score
Hey guys! With the winter coming up I thought that I'd start my own Earthworm culture, but when I googled "culturing earthworms" I found this very long and elaborate page on the subject. Is culturing earthworms really that complicated? I thought it was just a matter of filling a bin with dirt, keeping the dirt moist, and throwing in some vegetables every once and a while.

petro

Reaction score
Hey guys! With the winter coming up I thought that I'd start my own Earthworm culture, but when I googled "culturing earthworms" I found this very long and elaborate page on the subject. Is culturing earthworms really that complicated? I thought it was just a matter of filling a bin with dirt, keeping the dirt moist, and throwing in some vegetables every once and a while.

Its not complicated,also very good to do on your way(i did it the same way in biginning)
The most important thing is to keep fungus out the wormtank and keep it moist.
But there are several other way's to keep and breed them,and always intresting to find out the
best way.O,and by example;vegetables giving themost of the time fungus.I keep in the same tank collumbola's(tropical one's) to keep the fungus out.(eating fungus)
Petro

peterj

Reaction score
I farm mine (red wrigglers) in stacks of styro boxes (the ones with holes in the bottom) outdoors. The table scraps get thrown in and covered with dirt so vermin aren't attracted. I suppose I'm probably spoilt by climate, our winters are pretty mild.

oregon newt

Reaction score
So would that link above apply to the earthworms I find in my backyard? Also, what temperature should the bins be in?

peterj

Reaction score
I'm not sure what species you have in your yard, but many naturally occurring worms aren't suitable for composting because they don't survive well in the environment created in compost and/or they're not productive enough to be used as a live food source (which also means they're ineffiective for waste disposal). It's definately worth getting some dedicated compost worms, and red wrigglers seem to be readily excepted by Axolotls and many fish as a staple food.

Mine are productive in air temperatures from around 5C to 30+C. I'm not sure what soil temperatures that equates to, but the compost is appreciably warmer than air during winter (as organics are metabolised) and I apply extra moisture when it gets hot during summer. I'm not sure what the lower temperature limit for culturing outside would be.

dianabee

Reaction score
So would that link above apply to the earthworms I find in my backyard? Also, what temperature should the bins be in?

I'm not sure about specific worm species. I collect my worms from outside after a rain. They've been doing fine so far. I'd recommend keeping the bins at room temperature. I keep the bins in my kitchen, right next to my garbage can.

The link I posted earlier is specifically for an indoor worm bin. Also, I use both newspaper as well as a small amount of topsoil.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There have been several discussions on the topic of culturing earth worms in this forum, for instance a very good description of a worm bin you might want to check out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1