Custom tanks in Australia?

Christie

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
WA
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I currently have two axolotls in a 70l tank.

Its 60cm in length so now they are quite a bit bigger I worry that they are getting too big for the tank?

I don't want to spend a lot on a new tank so I have been looking at second hand tanks but they are all very tall. Is there somewhere in Western Australia or somewhere that posts custom made tanks or shallow tanks that are long?

Or if anyone has any idea of any good stores I could buy one?

Thanks :)
 
What's the matter with a tall tank? I have my two guys in a Juwel Rio 180, which is 50 cms high. They actually love hanging around in the plants and they sometimes just swim around for the sake of swimming. :) Plus, with more water volume your water values are more stable.
 
The coolest thing about tall tanks is working with the vertical space. Large driftwood/plants can be cool for axolotls to hangout on. The issue with more of a footprint is only used if you were putting the maximum number of axolotls in the volume of water. Axolotls came from two lakes not two shallow puddles so they have no issue swimming to the top.
 
What's the matter with a tall tank? I have my two guys in a Juwel Rio 180, which is 50 cms high. They actually love hanging around in the plants and they sometimes just swim around for the sake of swimming. :) Plus, with more water volume your water values are more stable.

My tank is tall as well and they love swimming I'm just worried that they don't have enough length to swim.
 
60cms in length is quite small indeed, you're better off getting a 80cm or a 100cm tank for them. :) But height does not matter much, bigger is better!
 
I've really been wanting to do a second layer in my tank, mine is short but I think the idea would work for you too if you were thinking about a second layer. I'm really wanting to get like a plastic magazine holder and turn it on its side and put it in the back corner of the tank so it can act like a hide if one went inside and a seat or second layer for one to hang out on on top :)
 
60cms is pretty small and I would probably be very inclined to upgrade. 1 adult axolotl should have approximately 40L, or 1.5ft of length. For each new axolotl there should be an additional 40L or extra ft. However like some people have mentioned height isn't all that bad as you can add extra levels in the tank. I've got 4 axolotls in my 3ft tank however I have a multi-level 3D background with hides incorporated into it which gives them more footspace, so height isn't that bad :).

I'm not familiar with WA fish shops but here in Sydney, a local FS or pet shops' tanks for extremely overpriced. I bought my 3ft brand new for I think just under $100 from a petshop warehouse, so maybe google any petshop warehouses around your area as they should have cheaper tanks.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top