Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycle tanks?

andrew

Reaction score
Okay so im new with all of this, i hear that you need so cycle the water at first, what is this? How do you cycle your tank? Tahnks

K

kungfoi

if i put coral in my filter is ok or not? is it can change pH?

C

cynthia

Kungfoi - if your ph is low you can raise it by adding crushed coral to your filter.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
axies like hard water. Coral in the filter should make the water harder.

S

shane

about axolotls liking hard water. does it do them any harm being in soft water?. i have no idea if my water is hard or soft. and im a bit hesitiant to adding salts because ill probably get the wrong messurements. she seems happy so is it important?

C

cynthia

Shane - From http://www.axolotl.org

If you live in a hard water area, the chances are that you've seen limescale in your kettle or pipes. This is caused by the deposition of dissolved salts of calcium and magnesium on the heating element of the kettle and the inside surface of the pipes. Soft water contains little dissolved salts, while hard water contains signficant amounts. There tends to be a correlation between soft water and acidic pH, and hard water and alkaline pH. This is because these minerals affect the chemical equilibrium in the water (discussed in a simple form in the pH section).

Axolotls prefer somewhat hard water, and those that live in soft ware will often suffer from temporary anaemia - the animal becomes pale and its gills lose their colouration for a few minutes or hours. This is not a dangerous condition but it can be prevented by supplementing the hardness of the water with added salts.

J

jennifer

I'm not sure what is meant by adding "salts" on the axolotl site. Just add some crushed coral or calci-sand or limestone to the filter (or tank). It will dissolve very slowly and supplement the calcium in the water and help stabilize the pH.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1