Cycling/Cleaning HOB Filter

MorganMK

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI all,

so this is my third attempt at cycling my aquarium so I'm trying to play this very safe in order to not have to do it again lol.

I have a 20 gallon long tank with a spong filter as well as a Fluval Aquaclear HOB filter (both filters are for 40 gallon tanks i think) as well as live plants and decor. It is a bare bottom ( I know this may cause cycling to take longer). I had a bacterial bloom prior to my starting to cycle. However, a couple of weeks back I squeezed out the sponge for my HOB filter in a thing of tank water and a TON of powdery brown detritus came off (this was not the cause of it not cycling, it had stalled prior to that. I was keeping my axie in the tank to build up some natural waste while monitoring the parameters closely and then tubbed her when i felt there was a good bit of nattural waste). I noticed after this, my bacterial bloom cleared up a bit but was still present.

I have seen so much conflicting info about how to clean filters. A lot of people say that not cleaning the filter will contribute to bacterial blooms and others say cleaning too much removes BB. Will I remove BB if I squeeze out my sponge on the HOB filter? Would it be okay to do this now or wait? I am curious if this will clear up the bacterial bloom as I cant even see the back of the tank anymore. I am also using Dr. Tim's to supplement the 4ppm ammonia And was dosing stability for a boost in BB.I just started seeing nitrites and nitrates so we are making progress and its only been cycling for about two weeks.

Whether I am cyclin or not, is squeezing the sponge a good idea? It also has a carbon bag which Ill just kinda shake out, but should I be replacing this?

Thank you!!!

bacteria bloom is when the bacteria is unsettled and is in the water column, once bacteria is settled and has grown a good sized colony in the filter they out compete the bacteria in the water for food therefore clearing the water up, this is why bacteria bloom is caused by either over feeding or lack of filter bacteria.
because sponges are mostly mechanical filtration they trap a lot of muck meaning that they need cleaning out, which is done by squeezing out into old tank water, the reason old tank water is used is because the water is safe and has no chlorine in it which can damage any bacteria housed in it, although some bacteria can be transferred by squeezing out the sponge most are latched onto the media.
activated carbon only works for a period of time removing chemicals from the water, once the carbon has become old/saturated it starts to become bio media instead, which although useful means that when the carbon is replaced a large chunk of bacterial filtration is removed, this is why carbon needs to be changed monthly before it becomes bio media.
the brown powdery substance can be anything from dead algae to muck that has been reduced and even calcium which has dropped out of the water column, also it is a good idea to clean new media in old tank water before hand as debris from manufacture can remain on the media.
sponges and bio-media only need cleaning if there is a visible lack of flow or a build up of debris in the water, with air sponge filters they take on a pinched look, sponges are squeezed/rinsed through with old tank water, bio-media is rinsed through with old tank water, activated carbon is thrown and the new carbon is rinsed through with old tank water to remove dust/ash, sponges and bio-media should last life of the tank, carbon lasts about a month.

bacteria bloom is when the bacteria is unsettled and is in the water column, once bacteria is settled and has grown a good sized colony in the filter they out compete the bacteria in the water for food therefore clearing the water up, this is why bacteria bloom is caused by either over feeding or lack of filter bacteria.
because sponges are mostly mechanical filtration they trap a lot of muck meaning that they need cleaning out, which is done by squeezing out into old tank water, the reason old tank water is used is because the water is safe and has no chlorine in it which can damage any bacteria housed in it, although some bacteria can be transferred by squeezing out the sponge most are latched onto the media.
activated carbon only works for a period of time removing chemicals from the water, once the carbon has become old/saturated it starts to become bio media instead, which although useful means that when the carbon is replaced a large chunk of bacterial filtration is removed, this is why carbon needs to be changed monthly before it becomes bio media.
the brown powdery substance can be anything from dead algae to muck that has been reduced and even calcium which has dropped out of the water column, also it is a good idea to clean new media in old tank water before hand as debris from manufacture can remain on the media.
sponges and bio-media only need cleaning if there is a visible lack of flow or a build up of debris in the water, with air sponge filters they take on a pinched look, sponges are squeezed/rinsed through with old tank water, bio-media is rinsed through with old tank water, activated carbon is thrown and the new carbon is rinsed through with old tank water to remove dust/ash, sponges and bio-media should last life of the tank, carbon lasts about a month.
Thanks for clearing this up for me!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back