Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling help

HakuAxie

Reaction score
I’m cycling my tank after our move. It’s been 3 weeks now (mind you it was previously cycled). The ammonia is now going down to 0 24 hours after a full dose but the nitrites are still very high and the nitrates are present but there hasn’t been a change in a week. Should I do a water change and if so how big of one?

ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: ~2-5ppm
Nitrate: ~10ppm

Murk

Reaction score
That sounds like the cycling is going well, though I understand it's frustrating that it takes so long.
You have enough bacteria turning ammonia into nitrites. Now the nitrites are up, bacteria will grow that turn the nitrites into nitrates.

If you do a water change, all you'll do is remove (part of) the nitrites, meaning the bacteria who eat the nitrites will only grow slower. As long as there are no animals in the tank leaving it as it is will help the cycle the most.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!