Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cycling my tank

rb6k

Reaction score
I am shifting my axolotl into a new tank and wanted to ask if cycling etc is as simple as this:

If I use the same filter, and the water source is the same as usual, with dechlorinater etc, do I just need to let the filter run for a bit on its own before moving the axolotl in? Or is there more to it? The filter media should be able to cope with the same waste from the same creature in a different glass tank right?

Do I need to add any water from the old tank into the new one at all?

lotty

Reaction score
I have and had tropical fish where I changed the tanks over. I moved the gravel, rocks ornaments and plants plus as mush water as I could and top up with fresh water as if I have done a water change. The 'good' bacteria is on everything if the tank is established. I just rinse everything in tank water before putting in the new tank. You may get some brown algae (new tank algae) on the glass before it starts settling to green, but the tank will not need cycling again as you will be using the same items and filters out of the old tank.

I have 3 internal filters going in my tropical tank which has mollies and crayfish, just incase I want to set up another tank. I can put some of the water in a new tank, one of the filters, some substrate and an ornament / plastic plant from the established tank and the new tank will not need a full cycle.

rb6k

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you Ian. The other tank has been established for a long time so that's all good. I will swap everything across at the weekend I guess! Is any waiting time required or could i essentially pull the plug on the filter, shift it all across and move my axie straight in?

lotty

Reaction score
Pull the plug and move straight in. The temp will be the same although a bit dirtier as moving everything will disturb the muck. If you want, put the axy in a tub that will float in the 'new tank' with water out of the old tank and put an air stone in it so it has oxygen and the temps will be the same while the water and muck settle. If you set it up the same way, or almost the same way, it might not notice any difference and will not be stressed as much as moving into a completely new tank and surroundings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1