Cycling with 2 Axolotls in tank

ozaglemani

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have 2 axolotls in a tank that was set up for me way before I got them. I was told the tank is cycled but it’s been 4 days that I’m having a hard time getting the nitrites down even after water changes. I’ve been doing tests using the API Freshwater Kit everyday and the past 3-4 days, ammonia changes 0-.25ppm, nitrites .25ppm-.50ppm, nitrates 5-10ppm. I do 25% - 50% water changes. Water temp is 16-18 deg Celsius.

I spot-clean regularly. I watch them eat so I can make sure I don’t miss leftovers. I clean their waste as soon as I see them.

Tank size is 40”x18”x18”. I have a HOB, 3 dual sponge and a single sponge filters, 1 air disk and 3 bags of assorted bio media. The water I put is somewhere between 40-43 gallons. I use RODI water which I re-mineralize with crushed corals and baking soda.

Last edited:
Although ammonia is dangerous and it is of course best if the parameters are at 0, they are hardy and will be able to survive while you set up the cycle. People recommend that the tank is completely cycled before you put the axolotl in, but I also had to cycle the tank while I already had the axies inside. If the axolotls are being active and eating, then the parameters are likely not high enough to severely bother them. I also just did daily water changes, then after a few weeks I did changes every two days, and then I slowly switched into weekly water changes. You seem to be doing a lot to keep the parameters in check, so I wouldn't worry much.

Reactions: Gis
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back