Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis , correct pH

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Hello people,

I was looking up the correct water pH to keep cynops but I wasn't able to find anything. I suppose that they lived in ponds with a lot of plants and wood waste, so could the pH be acid for them?

Thank you.

AidanD

Reaction score
I kept mine previously with neutral-alkaline pH with good results. I’m sure they’d do just fine with acidic-neutral water as well.

MN99

Reaction score
I have an old C. ensicauda. He has been in the same tank for a few decades with rocks that cause pH to be extremely high....11+...so if C. orentalis lives in similar habitat I would say alkaline is probably best.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Unless your pH is overly hard or overly soft, the best thing is consistent pH, meaning: don't tinker with the pH. Use dechlorinated tap water and leave it at that.

If you tinker with pH but cannot guarantee consistent pH day-to-day and between water changes, you'll stress out the newt.

Most aquatic animals (I'm a newt keeper and a longtime aquarist) need consistency, and most species don't only thrive in a narrow scope of environmental factors, and if purchased locally, most have been bred in your local water and should do fine.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!