Cynops Orientalis larvae tail looking rough??

meowmags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He is 3 months old, doesn't have anything sharp in his enclosure

I feed him black worms and do a small water change every 1-2 days. I also added some small sand from my cycled tanks of 2+ years. Water temp is usually between 16-21°C and he seems active enough

Attachments

• 20240331_162626.jpg
    20240331_162626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 303
  • 20240329_142018.jpg
    20240329_142018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
This is how the tails start to look in my guys the closer they get to morph
Oh really? His gills are still quite big so I wasn't sure, he's around 3 months old now but I was getting worried as the tail looks kinda ripped a bit

Any idea why that happens?

Oh really? His gills are still quite big so I wasn't sure, he's around 3 months old now but I was getting worried as the tail looks kinda ripped a bit

Any idea why that happens?
This is just from my observation so I may be incorrect however I believe it’s the animals body starting to just change and the ray like fin on the tail is slowly absorbed or the body just drastically starts changing shape one or the other ,this is even more noticeable on my alpine larva

This is just from my observation so I may be incorrect however I believe it’s the animals body starting to just change and the ray like fin on the tail is slowly absorbed or the body just drastically starts changing shape one or the other ,this is even more noticeable on my alpine larva
That definitely makes sense! How old do they have to be until they morph did you find? I'm very new to this and I've lost 6 babies already

I start to have them morphing right around 3 ish months this guys egg was laid on Christmas Day 2023 and he’s been morphed for about 2 weeks now

Attachments

• IMG_7615.jpeg
    IMG_7615.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
I start to have them morphing right around 3 ish months this guys egg was laid on Christmas Day 2023 and he’s been morphed for about 2 weeks now
Awww what a little sweetie! How big is he? and is he a Cynops Orientalis?

Please could you tell me your exact routine how you raise your larvae as I'm desperately trying to get mine to be healthy and grow well

I just had a new egg hatch this morning of Cynops Orientalis so I'm really anxious about them 🥺 I already lost 6 babies

Attachments

• 20240402_102442.jpg
    20240402_102442.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Yes these are orientalis ,I breed multiple cynops species with good success,the key is lots of live food like daphnia and brine,black worms are okay too but I think they lack some important nutrients vital to proper development,I raise them up in 10 gallons stuffed with plats and a floating cork bark island,I’ve found keeping them in small containers may have some negative affects on rapid growth just my opinion,I change their water daily when they’re small ,why do u think you’re losing so many are u keeping up with h20 changes ?

Yes these are orientalis ,I breed multiple cynops species with good success,the key is lots of live food like daphnia and brine,black worms are okay too but I think they lack some important nutrients vital to proper development,I raise them up in 10 gallons stuffed with plats and a floating cork bark island,I’ve found keeping them in small containers may have some negative affects on rapid growth just my opinion,I change their water daily when they’re small ,why do u think you’re losing so many are u keeping up with h20 changes ?
That sounds great! I keep them in small tubs due to space and having them all separated in case some get sick but I'm really puzzled... It's not like I don't really know what I'm doing, I have 7 fish tanks running (tropical) I also have a 280 Litre fully planted tank for my Axolotl and I haven't suffered any fish deaths since 2 years Now 😞

The only thing is, I'm inexperienced with newts but I keep them in cool water near my window, they have daily grindal worms (but I'm tempted to just try daphnia now) I think I accidentally killed one using baby brine shrimp Perhaps I didn't rinse that batch but who knows (everyone else did well after that feeding apart from that one) and recently I lost the sibling of that 3month old newt (it had strange greying abdomen... it looked like it had half dead body and top part was still moving...) The other babies died literally a week after being born. Some died 1 day and 1 week after travelling to me (they were 2 weeks old)

That sounds great! I keep them in small tubs due to space and having them all separated in case some get sick but I'm really puzzled... It's not like I don't really know what I'm doing, I have 7 fish tanks running (tropical) I also have a 280 Litre fully planted tank for my Axolotl and I haven't suffered any fish deaths since 2 years Now 😞

The only thing is, I'm inexperienced with newts but I keep them in cool water near my window, they have daily grindal worms (but I'm tempted to just try daphnia now) I think I accidentally killed one using baby brine shrimp Perhaps I didn't rinse that batch but who knows (everyone else did well after that feeding apart from that one) and recently I lost the sibling of that 3month old newt (it had strange greying abdomen... it looked like it had half dead body and top part was still moving...) The other babies died literally a week after being born. Some died 1 day and 1 week after travelling to me (they were 2 weeks old)
Sounds really strange ,how often ar eh changing their water and how deep are u keeping it

Sounds really strange ,how often ar eh changing their water and how deep are u keeping it
These are the tubs
I have added sand from my cycled fish tanks as well to help with good bacteria

I used to do daily 100% water changes but people said that must've been stressing them out so now I do 50% every other day or 2

Attachments

• 20240402_140520.jpg
    20240402_140520.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240402_140526.jpg
    20240402_140526.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Are u by chance leaving those black worms in tank for extended periods ? They foul water surprisingly fast,also I would chop them up I’ve seen black worms swarm larva before ….
Oh I do! I'll take them out asap, thanks for that! Yes I'll definitely chop them up

gosh nature is savage

I would say your water change schedule is fine. When I raised cynics larvae, I fed them on daphnia and chopped up tubifex/black worms.

I would definitely try daphnia if you can get that going. The movement they have will stimulate feeding, although I’ve had larvae who ate chopped tubifex/black worms as their first food too. Also, the carotenoids in daphnia will help your firebellies get that red belly they get their name from. To be clear tho, the carotenoids aren’t vital for their health, only their belly color.

Your larvae there looks good. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tail. I agree with midmichigan it looks like the tail fins being reabsorbed as it is getting ready to morph.

I would say your water change schedule is fine. When I raised cynics larvae, I fed them on daphnia and chopped up tubifex/black worms.

I would definitely try daphnia if you can get that going. The movement they have will stimulate feeding, although I’ve had larvae who ate chopped tubifex/black worms as their first food too. Also, the carotenoids in daphnia will help your firebellies get that red belly they get their name from. To be clear tho, the carotenoids aren’t vital for their health, only their belly color.

Your larvae there looks good. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tail. I agree with midmichigan it looks like the tail fins being reabsorbed as it is getting ready to morph.
Thank you! I've ordered live daphnia and bloodworms that should be coming soon, for now I will carry on feeding chopped up black worms.

Oh I didn't know that! So the daphnia is fine until they're a bit older but not super beneficial? Until when should I stop feeding daphnia?
Also, I've seen a lot of newt people on instagram feed their newts bloodworms mainly but I thought they aren't super beneficial? Do you know anything about that?

Also, once the Daphnia arrives, what should I do with it? I know it lives in water and feeds off the algae so do I just put them in their own container and then use a pipette to suck some out and drop into the newt tank? Will that Also preserve the daphnia to live longer?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it and oh good I'm glad! I hope he can morph soon so I won't be so stressed haha

Attachments

• IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
That's a happy looking newt baby.

Yeah I wouldn't say daphnia are super beneficial once they are past the larval stage, but mostly because they're so small. You'll have to feed quite a bit of daphnia to really make much of a difference for adult newts. But I wouldn't say that they're not worth feeding at all though, if you you've got a good culture of them going. Daphnia are highly nutritious and I think could help in giving your newts a balanced diet, even if just as a snack once in a while. Plus it's fun watching my newts chase them around. And this is totally based on my personal opinion, but I feel like feeding your newts these kinds of food that give them a chance to actually exercise their natural hunting instincts/behaviors might make for happier and healthier newts. This is as opposed to feeding exclusively by tweezer or just dropping food right in front of their faces. But again, this is totally just my feelings, and you should prioritize nutrition over anything else.

If you've got a culture of the daphnia going, there isn't any reason you should stop feeding daphnia, at least not during the larval stage.

Frozen bloodworms are generally considered very nutritious as well, given it's from a good brand (Hikari seems to have a good reputation). I have fed my newts those before, but I find that some of them turn their noses up at it if they're also being fed live foods. So, eventually I stopped bothering. But again, you're going to want to feed more thann 1 good food to make sure their diet is balanced. In my opinion, for the larval stage, chopped black worms, daphnia, and bloodworms would be great.

The daphnia will not live long if you're not feeding them. I think really the only good option you have is starting a culture of them. Unless you have a local fish store that sells them or some other local source, you'll be spending loads on shipping buying them online. There's a lot of foods you can feed them, algae (greenwater), yeast, spirulina powder, and various flours (rice/pea/bean). You can culture them in containers as small as 1 gallon, but the bigger the container, the more stable the culture. There's alot of different articles and videos online about how to culture them. Currently I am following the advice from a guy on Youtube called Aquarimax, he's got a few videos on daphnia. I am keeping 2 cultures, one in a 5 gallon tank with some lighting and gentle aeration, and another as a backup culture in a 1 gallon jar with no aeration or lighting. I'm feeding them a mix of spirulina powder and brown rice flour. When I want to feed the daphnia to my newts, I use a turkey baster or pipette to pick some up, and then strain them through a net before putting them in the tank with the newts. If your newt is in a small container, you probably don't want that yeast or spirulina/flour filled water in there ruining the water quality. You also might want to make sure you're using a net with fine enough weave so that it catches the baby daphnia as well, especially if you're feeding to very small newt larvae that just hatched.

Look through some of the info online on different ways to culture them and see what works for you. But I will say for sure you should separate your daphnia into at least 2 cultures, in case 1 crashes. The other thing is people have cultured daphnia with yeast very successfully long term, but it does seem to bring a higher risk of fouling your culture and causing it to crash, if you overfeed. I used to feed with yeast and was never able to keep a culture going for more than maybe 3 or 4 months. Your mileage may vary. Alot of people seem to think that greenwater is the best food to feed daphnia, but I was never able to get a greenwater culture going, so can't comment on that.

After they morph and into their adulthood, make sure to continue giving them some variety in their foods. I feed my adult newts tubifex and earthworms as staples, and am currently trying to introduce more into their diet.

Here's some info on various foods in case you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back