Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

D. ensatus won't eat

Msteffen

Reaction score
Early last month i collected an adult metamorphsed D. ensatus. It was originally going to be a preserved specimen in the lab I work in(we do evolutionary biology of salamanders), but I didn't have the heart to do the deed, so now I am trying to keep the salamander as a pet. Honestly though, a preserved specimen is still going to be its final fate, however, I want that to come about naturally.

My problem is, the salamander doesn't seem to be interested in eating anything. So far i've tried crickets, earthworms, and feeding it salamanders(Desmognathus). The the only thing it shows the tiniest bit of interest towards in is earthworms once in awhile, and by interest i mean some times it looks at the worm for a second, and has snapped at it a couple times. These snaps didn't seem very predatory, and more like a pissed off movement.

I was planning on trying to give it a pinkie today but the only store i know of that sells alive pinkies in my area is now closed apparently. I should be able to get a live pinkies next week to try though. I am also planning on trying waxworms at some point. I may also try and see if it would maybe additional species of salamanders.

Anyone got any recommendations? I've tried the dangling of a worm in front of it(this is the only time I get a half hearted response). The set up i have for it is a 20 gallon long with some nice hiding spots which she takes advantage of.

Thanks,
Mike

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I'm certain you know how to keep and maintain this species of salamander. Especially if you're in the habitats of the D. ensatus. I have no experience with D. ensatus but I do have a few D. tenebrosus. Though mine are gilled they transitioned very well. A friend of mine has morphed adults and he never had any problems with feeding. His even bite him.

Could be stressed and just needs time. A healthy salamander can go weeks without eating and still be ok.

Msteffen

Reaction score
Well, after trying earthworms, crickets, a pinky, and crickets again, the salamander is finally eating.

Seems like stress and a shrinking stomach were the key.

Mike

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1