Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia in Canada

R

rob

Hey all...thought some of you may be interested.

I found a place in Canada that sells them. They go for $9.99 a culture and it's intended for students. They say it's enough daphnia for 30 students to study. If you buy 3 they go down to $8.99 a piece. They have a minimum $25 of supplies before they'll ship though...and shipping I believe is about $10.

They sell other things, such as fruit flies and their media, but I'm not getting their full catologue until next week so I can't say everything.

Their phone number is: 1-800-663-5890

If anyone wants to know what else they sell just let me know and I'll post it here when I know.

Rob

K

kai

Hi Rob,

You should be able to catch a starter culture for yourself! Even if you are caught in an urban environment, most parks have some ponds which are usually inhabited by Daphnia (the murkier the water is, the better). Just try a few places and you will catch at least some. OTOH, it's pretty late for this year and most Daphnia populations will be much lower than they used to be in summer.

Best wishes,
kai

R

rob

Thanks for the tip!

I did end up ordering from that company though. They didn't cost that much and it gave me some food to give my baby P. waltl's right off.

Thanks though,
Rob

J

janet

Hi there,
my mom is raising some axalotyls (don't know if that is spelled right) and she wants to make sure their pond water has enough daphnia in it. At this time, she wonders where in sounthern Manitoba in December she can find daphnia, assuming she needs them for her amphibian friends.

R

rob

As Kai said above that most parks with water in it will have some. It may have to wait until spring though.

If you're willing to buy the 1-800 number I put at the top of this page has Daphnia that they sell cultures of...you'd have to buy 3 to meet their minimum requirements for shipping though.

Good company though, I've dealt with them several times.

Rob

K

keegan

Well, I started my first daphnia culture a while ago (maybe 1week+). My starters were just a few daphnia I pulled out of a barrel of rainwater in our garage (since all other water is frozen now!) I started with some aquarium water, with some blended letuce in it, and also dropped in a few trout pellets for bacteria. It is aerated by a slow stream of bubbles.

I haven't been paying really close attention, but when I peered in today I at first thought that there had been no activity at all... there was still only a handfull of the orange-brown daphnia. Upon closer inspection, though, I noticed a multitude of Daphnia - many tiny, some almost as big as my "originals" - but they are very hard to see: white- almost clear.

I'm sure the explanation lies in the food - but what does it MEAN? *L*

Intuitively it seems that the clear ones wouldn't be as nutritious. The rainbarel was unaerated - perhaps the originals had a lot of haemoglobin? would they have lost it by now?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any thoughts...

Keegan

R

rob

What have you been feeding them? Could just be normal though...nice to know a fellow Canadian with them now though in case my culture crashes...then I'll be bugging you for a new starter!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!