Depressed axolotl?

bibzybean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axolotl, Bryce, just constantly looks really depressed. He often sits with his face on the floor, and when you wave to him he sort of drags his feet as he scuffles over to say hello. If he's not sat like that, he spends most hours of the day sat in this little submarine house thing that we got him, in the dark, not really moving. The rare few times i ever see him swim around are very late at night, usually the day before we feed him (we feed him every 2-3 days). His gills always look a little curved forward, which I can't tell if they are far enough forward to be a concern, but we regularly check the water concentrations and temperature which all seem to be fine, if not a little warm at times. I just don't want him to be sad or bored. Any advice?

Hello,

This could be related to many different variables or just one. Hard to say at this point. How big is the axolotls tank?

How fast is the water flow in the tank?

Is there direct light over the tank or a small amount of light?

Does the axolotl have areas to climb on or high plants to rest on?

If the temp is warm how warm? It should be below 69 degrees F or preferably 65 degrees or approx. 18.3 Celsius.

Are there any other animals or creatures in the tank causing stress or is it just the one Axolotl?

Is there gravel in the tank, bare bottom, or sand?

Just asking some common questions to paint a picture at this point.

- Donnie Krueger

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back