Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dirted Newt Tank?!

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Hey folks. I've read a lot about dirted tanks for freshwater fish. Plants seem to get more growth with all the extra nutrients and you might be able to sustain more types of plants in a set up like this I would think. I use dirt from the woods outside of my house for my triturus marm setup so I was wondering if anyone has done a dirted tank with newts and had any success.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have used the Walstadt method in both fish and newt aquariums and have been pleased with the results. Here is a great link for its application in newt bare-bottomed tanks: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ensely-planted-bare-bottom-tank-tutorial.html

The only comment I have on using dirt in the tank is that I have to be very careful when I add water following water changes; otherwise, the force of the water disrupts the substrate and you end up with cloudy water and displaced plants. But all in all I am pretty happy with the results and think it a great way to get a nice, lushly planted aquarium.

HJ

Lertsch

Reaction score
Same experience. Great growth with stem plants, no filter, very few water changes (mostly just a little refilling due to evaporation everything week or so), and pristine water quality better then I've ever had using a filter without plants and monthly water changes.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When I used the container method as outlined in the linked tutorial, I did not drain water, though I did it at the same time as a water change so the water level was lower. I simply lowered the planted container carefully.

However, if you decide you want the whole tank planted up then yes, you will have to drain the tank (at least, I know of no other method!)

If and when you do this let us know your results! I really hope you are pleased with the outcome,

HJ

joemomma1016

Reaction score
I will definitely let you guys know of the outcome. I'd like to do the whole thing but draining the tank of the water and messing up the chemistry seems taxing. Thanks again for the link and insight!

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to do the whole thing but draining the tank of the water and messing up the chemistry seems taxing.

In theory, a heavily planted, newly set up Walstad tank should cycle verily rapidly. This is because the plants should have such a boost from living in actual soil that they establish and start absorbing animal waste/ nitrogen's right away. In her book, Walstad recommends putting animals in the aquarium as soon as it is set up. However, always use common sense and your own best judgement while checking water chemistry daily in any newly set up tank. But other than the actual tear down I think you will be pleased with the water quality afterwords.

HJ

joemomma1016

Reaction score
The only trouble I seem to be having is finding organic soil without peat moss. I see in the link you provided, you used Miracle Gro Organic potting mix. Is this safe for caudates still? Formulas sometimes change? Thanks again.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
. I see in the link you provided, you used Miracle Gro Organic potting mix. Is this safe for caudates still? Formulas sometimes change? Thanks again.

To the best of my knowledge the formula has not changed but to be honest I have not set up a Walstad tank in a few years.

In her book, Walstad says that she simply uses soil from a clean source, like a field that is not under agricultural development. So if you know of a clean area around you with decent dirt you may just be able to go that route. Perhaps it would not be amiss to add some sensitive inverts after setup but before any pets to "test the waters," as it were. I often use the presence of snails and daphnia as indicators of overall tank health. I would think that if some snails and other pond critters could happily live in the new set up for a few weeks than you should be good to go.

HJ

Fumanchu

Reaction score
I have never heard of regular dirt it may contain dangerous pathogens. I'd mix fish waste into plant roots and buy plant food.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be very wary of introducing chemical traces of fish into a newt tank. I once used a bucket of water from my koi pond to finish off a water change when I ran out of aquasafe, the newts freaked out and I had to move them to another tank until I could change out all the old water.
As for introducing pathogens, what makes fish waste safer than regular garden dirt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!