Disinfecting/treating Java moss

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
A.C.
Hi all,

I'm setting up a new tank to move some of my apuanus into. There's a load of Java moss in my softshell turtle's tank. I'd like to put some of it into the new newt tank but am wondering if I should treat the moss. And if I should, how.

Thanks!

Some people soak Java moss in a solution of 1 part hypochlorite bleach to 10 parts water for 15 minutes to sterilise it, but it has the potential to kill the Java moss. You should thoroughly rinse the Java moss in plain water after bleaching it and before adding it to the apuanus tank.

You can get rid of any chytrid or ich by putting the Java moss in a tank by itself and keeping the temperature at 30C for a couple of weeks, but this probably won't be effective against salmonella, nematodes or most other things.

Excellent. In browsing in the forums, I saw a mention of using vinegar. Would that be any better/worse than bleach?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back