Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do crickets need substrate?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the nature center, we keep crickets in a Kritter Keeper setup. We supply food and a water dish. Do crickets need a substrate on the bottom of the container? If so, what is the best and/or cheapest thing to use? We've been using a cricket food/bedding product, but I'm trying to save money.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I find mine do better housed with some type of substrate. I found the easiest to use is paper towels. Not only is It easy to change but they seem to like to munch on it. I also keep a small bowl of moist coco fiber in the corner for the females to lay eggs in.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
If you ask at the local newspaper, they will give you what we call in the paper industry a "stub roll". This is merely the paper left on the roll after a high speed printing splice. One stub averages 100 feet of 8 or 10 foot blank newsprint. It's free, sanitary and a roll lasts for a long time. Wadded up OT is excellent for cleaning enclosure glass to a quality streak free shine. Also makes good shipping padding.

I use it for crickets and roaches as bedding.

You can't get and cheaper and earth friendly than that.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I worked at the zoo we used large slabs of cardboard egg crate.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I use substrate as I find the crickets survive longer and it reduces the time I invest in keeping their container clean. They are so dirty and their excrement is hard to remove from a bare bottom tank. I have used all the above as substrate but have landed on using Repti-bark (fir bark) the past several years. It decreases the smell and I only change the substrate a few times a year.

caleb

Reaction score
When I worked at the zoo we used large slabs of cardboard egg crate.

This seems to be a common choice, especially for raising large numbers of crickets.

I personally use screwed up newspaper. I never use a water bowl, I just make sure that they always have a bit of fresh veg- this seems to give them enough moisture.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent ideas, all! Our cricket keeper is the kind with the tubes inside:
Ghann's Cricket Farm :: Lee's Kricket Keeper
So there's really no space for egg crate. But the other ideas will be tried!

By the way, I really like this keeper device with the tubes inside. This is saving us a lot of time picking and shaking out crickets daily. Most of the crickets stay up inside the tubes ready for dispensing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1