Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do I have to quarantine?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
I lost one of my ADF's today. :( I want to get another to keep my remaining one company but haven't any space to set up a quarantine tank. What exactly are my chances of getting a frog with sickness from Petco? :/ Anyone know of a reliable source that I could buy online (once it gets warmer out) of healthy frogs?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
If getting an animal from a petstore, quarantine is highly recommended, with animals from breeders, its not as much of an issue. And don't dwarf frogs from the petstore last like a week and die off?

rachel1

Reaction score
Mine came from a pet store and are very healthy a year later. However, I have read that many dwarf frogs in pet stores are infected with Chytrid, possibly by shared water supply with immune carrier Xenopus- which would account for high mortality rates. I would quarantine at least 3 months. Chytrid is nasty, and you don't want to risk killing the frog you have now.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I want to get another to keep my remaining one company

No offense, but aren't amphibians loners except for the breeding season? You can get another one and put it in AFTER quarantine, but they could become aggressive, they could compete for food, or they could sell you a froglet African Clawed Frogs, which eat pretty much everything they can shove in their mouths and grow big enough to swallow a dwarf frog

allied123

Reaction score
People usually say dwarf frogs are social and like to be in groups of two or three, however my two don't really seem to interact much? Maybe mine are just weird. But I think quarantine is pretty important as they do usually share water with lots of fish and very possibly lots of different diseases and what not :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!