Do I need a pump or is my filter sufficient?

mamaloney02

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all:

Firstly, thanks to the mods for approving me!

I recently purchased a 75 gallon tank (a pretty wide one to house two axolotls that my wife and I plan on getting soon). We are getting the tank’s habitat set up and stabilized before we bring the axolotls home. We have learned pretty quickly that our only real solution to cool the tank is going to be getting a chiller as the temperature stabilized at 72.5 F, and we are aiming to cool down to 62 F as most would recommend.

We bought a Fluval 407 canister filter with a spray bar as we thought that would be sufficient when initially buying equipment, but we have reached the max vertical length from the base of the filter to the top of the tank (48 inches from base to peak). Does anybody have experience, or know if it’s possible at this point, to run the chiller in line with the return flow from the filter as most would normally suggest or would that cause too much loss of pressure to where we couldn’t generate enough flow? Would it be best to just get an independent pump at this point, and if so, does anyone know what flow rate I should be aiming for in a pump when accounting for tubing length, loss of pressure at elbows, etc? This is our first tank, and I definitely don’t have experience when it comes to calculating this out myself.

Our plan is currently to place the chiller, pump, and filter in the tank stand which opens at the back. Although the tank and stand are placed against a wall, I have a plan to get some fans in there to blow heat out the back and side of the stand.

Anyone’s input or experience they could share with this would be absolutely appreciated!

Hi all:

Firstly, thanks to the mods for approving me!

I recently purchased a 75 gallon tank (a pretty wide one to house two axolotls that my wife and I plan on getting soon). We are getting the tank’s habitat set up and stabilized before we bring the axolotls home. We have learned pretty quickly that our only real solution to cool the tank is going to be getting a chiller as the temperature stabilized at 72.5 F, and we are aiming to cool down to 62 F as most would recommend.

We bought a Fluval 407 canister filter with a spray bar as we thought that would be sufficient when initially buying equipment, but we have reached the max vertical length from the base of the filter to the top of the tank (48 inches from base to peak). Does anybody have experience, or know if it’s possible at this point, to run the chiller in line with the return flow from the filter as most would normally suggest or would that cause too much loss of pressure to where we couldn’t generate enough flow? Would it be best to just get an independent pump at this point, and if so, does anyone know what flow rate I should be aiming for in a pump when accounting for tubing length, loss of pressure at elbows, etc? This is our first tank, and I definitely don’t have experience when it comes to calculating this out myself.

Our plan is currently to place the chiller, pump, and filter in the tank stand which opens at the back. Although the tank and stand are placed against a wall, I have a plan to get some fans in there to blow heat out the back and side of the stand.

Anyone’s input or experience they could share with this would be absolutely appreciated!
kinda just skimmed through this as i'm currently busy with family and such, but thought i'd mention that i've had great success with sponge filters and air pumps. with a 75 gallon id suggest using two or more different filters with probably two air pumps. i have a 20 gallon long and i use one sponge filter + a 25 gallon air pump. works great, and the almost nonexistent flow is a good benefit as well.

although the filter should work just fine with the vertical length it wont be as manufacturer specified, keep an eye on the main seal for any leaks and make sure to grease the seal with silicone grease. using a pre-pump wouldn't be a good idea as I doubt the seal would hold up against the pressure, because of the max 2> metre height outlet it should be fine as a pre-filter on a chiller.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back