Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do i need lights in my tank?

D

deanna

I was just wondering do i need any sort of special lights in my tank for my axolotls? I have seen a couple of pix of peoples tanks and they have lights but a couple of my friends have axolotls (about 1 year old) and they dont have any lights. Do they need light to help them grow?

R

rheann

They prefere not to have lights. Their eyes are sensitive, but some lighting doesn't hurt them. I have duck weed growing on the top of my tank, eventually it will take over the whole top of the tank. Axolotls like some protection from the brite light, floating plants or even those silk littly pads work great. Live plants that float like Hornwort are also good. Hope this helps
happy.gif

pete

Reaction score
Axolotls don't need lights. In fact they are often most active at night. I keep a light on my aquarium mainly for the live plants, but it also makes it easier to see inside.

G

grant

As far as I know little is known about how lighting effects axolotls (outside of breeding). I had a UV light on my tank for a while just to help keep some plants alive but I have recently taken it out because I noticed an increase in algae in my tank, but without the light I have none. If you want plants I've found that the "lucky bamboo" and java moss works great and require very little light.

D

deanna

Rheann ~ Thanks for the info i will have to invest in some duck weed, but i have never heard of hornwort or lucky bamboo. A friend of mine has some java moss so i mite have to ask her where she got if from.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Depending on what type of filter you plan to use duck weed might be a mistake. It can easily clog some types of filters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1