Do I need to clean tank after axolotl died?

lululemon982

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a rescue baby leucistic who had a bacterial infection when she came home, she recovered from it but ended up eventually dying from gas bubble disease.

I am bringing home another rescue Sunday, who was surrendered due to poor water conditions. Is there anything I need to do to the previous tank before I can add another lotl? Does it need to be dumped out and restarted? Or is there a way to make sure the new lotl will not get sick from the previous' infection?

Without knowing the type of infection its hard to say.

Using a salt solution will help boost health - Johns or Holtfreters and many organisms cannot live in a salt rich environment

Without knowing the type of infection its hard to say.

Using a salt solution will help boost health - Johns or Holtfreters and many organisms cannot live in a salt rich environment

It was a bacterial infection from an imbalance in the gut after being fed axolotl sticks that didn't agree with her

If it were me, I would disinfect the tank with diluted bleach, rinse well, and start over.

If it were me, I would disinfect the tank with diluted bleach, rinse well, and start over.
never use cleaner with aquariums it’s not safe! use white wine distilled vinegar , works like a charm & isn’t harmful! 😇

never use cleaner with aquariums it’s not safe! use white wine distilled vinegar , works like a charm & isn’t harmful! 😇
Many people use bleach. I have used it many many times, with no issues. As long as it's well rinsed, it's perfectly safe.

Bleach is safe - lots of rinsing or an over dose of Prime/Safe neutralizes it or soaking with some vinegar. I use it all the time on my nets etc to ensure no cross contamination.

Potassium permanganate is the neutron bomb of the fish world but can dye things purple like silicone and skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back