Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.

Axolotl gender

• Total voters

Axie123

Reaction score
:happy:

I have 2 axolotl which are both about 6" in size, I wasn't worried about gender when purchasing them so i didn't really question it, now im curious..

Any signs i should be looking out for? (I've tried & it seems fairly hard to tell)

As a guess i believe the Greenish brown speckled axolotl is male & my albino is Female.. though i could be wrong!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 7,344
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 3,425
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 2,431

danchristopher

Reaction score
Re: Do i own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.

It kind of looks like they both have little lumps from the pictures, but it is hard to tell. If you can get clear photos of the area just near their back legs it might make it easier for us to judge properly.

Are the tips of your albinos toes dark? This would indicate sexual maturity. White tips on your other axies toes would indicate the same. Have a read through the axolotl biology page, it has good advice on sexing: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

Axie123

Reaction score

I will add some more!

Yes the albinos toes have been noicably greyish for the past month or so.. it also seems to have a slightly swollen stomach, but is being fridged at the moment! - Seems to have maybe been constipated.

By the way, the axolotl in your picture, is it that yellow in life??

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 2,281
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    224 KB · Views: 2,694
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 5,154

lea

Reaction score

I think your axies are still a little bit to young to sex just yet, but there is a lump so one at least might be a boy.

Axie123

Reaction score

Yep, i think the albino is slightly older as they were from the same pet shop but different tanks (one normal selling + one "baby axolotl" one) So i'd imagine if the albino was male it would be more obvious by now??

It appears more like the darker axolotl could be a boy, but the albino looks different, so this could mean it is a she maybe?

:)

danchristopher

Reaction score

I will add some more!

Yes the albinos toes have been noicably greyish for the past month or so.. it also seems to have a slightly swollen stomach, but is being fridged at the moment! - Seems to have maybe been constipated.

By the way, the axolotl in your picture, is it that yellow in life??

From the underside of the albino in the picture it doesn't look like it has the boy lumps. Your darker axie looks like it might be developing into a boy though, but like lea said might be too early to tell.

As for the axie in my picture, yes it is yellow in real life. Parents were albino and golden albino and I believe it would have turned more golden yellow as it aged - I didn't keep any of these juvies though unfortunately D:

Axie123

Reaction score

Yes, i'd have to agree with you, my guesses would match that, but i guess i'll have to wait & find out!

Wow, it's pretty.. that's a big shame! :(
I only have these 2, my first 2, lovely pets :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, I think it is a little to early to tell as 6 inches as they are still a tad small. But when I looked at the first pictures I thought the wild type was more likely to be female and the leucistic male...that is only based on body shape and I am very good at being wrong :D

Axie123

Reaction score
I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

:D I have taken more pictures of my two axolotls, as im unsure if they are male + female or both the same gender.

I think my wildtype is a male, pretty sure (though i am no expert) + the albino at a guess is female, as it looks somewhat different body shaped though i may be wrong.

Also what sort of age / size can axolotls begin to breed?

:) Thankyou in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 9,175
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 8,632
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 8,547

Axie123

Reaction score
Potential breeding pair? :) Would be grateful of some opinions!

:D I have taken more pictures of my two axolotls, as im unsure if they are male + female or both the same gender.

I think my wildtype is a male, pretty sure (though i am no expert) + the albino at a guess is female, as it looks somewhat different body shaped though i may be wrong.

Also what sort of age / size can axolotls begin to breed?

:) Thankyou in advance!

(p.s the toes of the albino are darkened and the wildtypes toes are lighter)

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,551
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,636

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
Re: Potential breeding pair? :) Would be grateful of some opinions!

I think they're a little too young to tell yet!

hacelepues

Reaction score
Re: I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

As far as I can tell, they're both females. It would help if you had a side-shot of the albino.

Males are really REALLY swollen.

Also, I can't say for sure from the photos, but it doesn't seem like they are sexually mature yet (lack of painted toenails). So you might have to wait a little longer to find out.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

Please stop making multiple threads about this.

Axie123

Reaction score

Sorry i just lost the post as i am new + was unsure of how to find my own posts.
Also i thought i may get more replies if i had the new pictures as a new article rather than showing the same people again to get a wider view =]

thanks though everyone i will just wait + see.

My axolotl is much better from fridging great advice thankyou very very much :D

melfly

Reaction score

Too young in my opinion.

I have a wild who has a typical female body shape, she's called Florence.
At 19 months she suddenly decide to show she was in fact a male.......

Mel

Axie123

Reaction score

I've owned mine about 2 months the albinos slightly older but they must have been at the petshop for a month or 2 and raised for a couple months before that so potentially about 6-7 months old, so a good while to go then probably.

What sort of age do axolotls usually begin to lay eggs?? + are there any tell tale signs?? Just in the instance that happened if one was female :):happy:

luvrhi

Reaction score

I've owned mine about 2 months the albinos slightly older but they must have been at the petshop for a month or 2 and raised for a couple months before that so potentially about 6-7 months old, so a good while to go then probably.

What sort of age do axolotls usually begin to lay eggs?? + are there any tell tale signs?? Just in the instance that happened if one was female :):happy:
hello,

i know it has been a very long time since these posts. i was wondering if you ever DID find out the gender of your axolotls?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
hello,

i know it has been a very long time since these posts. i was wondering if you ever DID find out the gender of your axolotls?
OP hasn't been active on the site since 2012, probably not gonna answer

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!