Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do newts need diets too?

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
I guess I should be thankful that my newts aren't picky eaters, they will eat anything I put in front of them no questions asked ;)! My not so little anymore cynops cyanurus cinder is getting quite the tummy on him, of course like any good newt mommy I want to know if this could hurt him in the long run or if i should keep up the feeding since hes still "a baby"? It's just a little sad when he swims around he looks like a miniature manatee :eek:.

cinder reflects.jpg

(a picture of cinder checking out his figure in his reflection of course :D)

sde

Reaction score
Are you sure Cinder is a "he"? If is not a he, and is a she, then she could be gravid.
Assuming Cinder is a male, though, then I would simply suggest cutting back on feeding a bit. That simple.

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Good question, I have no idea since cinder (or Cinderella lol) was given to me as a juvenile.. At what age do they mature?? Cinder is still really small and doesn't appear to be full grown to me just really wide. I think it's the food too because he/she eats A LOT!
Oh I know I could just stop feeding him as much but I remember reading somewhere that newts don't over eat, is this not true? And since he is still an eft doesn't he need the nutrients or is it just hurting him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sde

Reaction score
They take 1-2 years to reach sexual maturity. Adults are 3-4 inches.
I have hear that too, but I don't think it applies to all species. The Taricha granulosa I used to have would eat loads, well at least one female. She just didn't stop eating. I also have a juvenile Cynops ensicauda popei that can eat impressive amounts as well, and might not stop...though i haven't tested that hypotheses. Cutting back on feeding a bit shouldn't hinder Cinders development.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
My smallest marm has been eating a lot for its size as well, its almost always in the feeding section of the tank waiting for me to feed it even if I fed it 10 minutes prior, its taken on a gravid pear shape even though its obviously not, its the only one that I've actually gotten to recognize pellets as a food as well, it usually eats more than the ones that are more than an inch longer that it eats, ill probably have to cut back on feeding a little bit too

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Yeah I got this guy to eat pellets too, very convenient if I go on vacation lol. I was so excited when I first was able to get him to eat off of my tweezers, now he's a monster :) ! I wonder if it has something to do with being captive bred? We've kind of spoiled them to the point like dogs whenever they beg we give them a treat. I wonder if newts in the wild over eat if they get the chance? When I went newt hunting up in the mountains last summer I noticed all the wild newts were extremely thin.. Might have just been the time of year or environment though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sde

Reaction score
While I don't know for sure, I would assume wild amphibians eat as much as they can at certain times. In the summer, for instance, when it is dry and hot, they will most likely be underground where insects are less likely to come by. Thus, if they get the chance to eat something, they will. In the spring however, when it is wet and there are mild temperatures, they can forage for food and worms, slugs, grubs etc. are more plentiful so they don't have to worry about not finding food. Thus, maybe they will not eat everything they come upon.
Just a guess though, I really don't know this for sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1