Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do Newts & salamanders Make Good Pets: 5 Points to Consider

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Despite my very wide interests (my career with animals has, quite literally, spanned ants to elephants!), I’ve always been partial to newts and salamanders. I focused on them from my earliest days working for the Bronx Zoo, and had the good fortune to author two books on their care and breeding. As pets and zoo specimens, they range from nearly impossible to keep to being among the longest lived of all captive herps (to age 50+, for the Fire and Japanese Giant Salamanders). The following points, drawn from a lifetime of working with these wonderful creatures in zoos, the field, and at home, are useful to consider before embarking on your amphibian-keeping venture. [FONT=&quot]R[/FONT]ead the rest of this article here Do Newts & Salamanders Make Good Pets? Five Points to Consider
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished reading through your links, what an amazing career you have had, and despite "retirement" you continue to educate others. Your receptiveness and keen interest in people's questions about their pets and also about career choices in the field is inspiring.

I am relatively new to these forums, although I have an 18+ year old Japanese Fire Belly newt as well as some new additions which have been identified as Chinese Fire Belly newts. I am fascinated by the wealth of information shared by people in these forums, and I can see from your "posts" that you have been an active contributor as well which doesn't surprise me given your wealth of knowledge and your continued interest in helping people provide proper care for their pets. Thank you for sharing and caring so much.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, I just finished reading through your links, what an amazing career you have had, and despite "retirement" you continue to educate others. Your receptiveness and keen interest in people's questions about their pets and also about career choices in the field is inspiring.

I am relatively new to these forums, although I have an 18+ year old Japanese Fire Belly newt as well as some new additions which have been identified as Chinese Fire Belly newts. I am fascinated by the wealth of information shared by people in these forums, and I can see from your "posts" that you have been an active contributor as well which doesn't surprise me given your wealth of knowledge and your continued interest in helping people provide proper care for their pets. Thank you for sharing and caring so much.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the kind words, much appreciated; very impressive longevity re the newt.

I can't participate here as much as I'd like, so please feel free to let me know, here or on blog, if you need any article links, or have ques/observations. best regards, Frank

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Another good read, Frank. As always you raise some very good points :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1