Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does anyone know how....

Jaymee

Reaction score
To make axolotls gill grow very long? i realy like the long gills but at the moment there pritty small:(

iv got 6ft tank, 2 large air stones, large filter ,heater.

i feed them very well

tempture sits around 22c / 72f

and change the water 25% every week and at the end of the month
clean the whole thing out.

any help? thanks:happy:

Snailbait

Reaction score
Just curious, why do you need a heater to keep the temperature at 22c? Axolotls prefer cooler water at between 14c to 20c. Their gills may grow longer at a better temperature. :D

Last edited:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
There is no real method to "make" their gills grow longer. Pretty much the only thing you can do is provide them optimal conditions and then let genetics take over.

jclee

Reaction score
Actually, I'm surprised that no one's begun breeding for long-gilled variations. I'd think they'd be in high demand.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
i think just giving them the BEST conditions possible and the BEST food help the gills. i've had mine for maybe 2-3 weeks and they grew a lot already (in the body) AND their gills are already looking longer, fluffier, and pinker. they are also growing their limbs back quickly (yeah they were missing feet here and there)

Jaymee

Reaction score
Thanks anyway. I guess it's just all down to genetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1