Does this look ok?

Chef

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Are the small red spots just pigmentation?
Not acting any different and has no issue eating or anything

Attachments

• 65256F12-70E0-4936-B1A0-9F0F95EEFD32.jpeg
    65256F12-70E0-4936-B1A0-9F0F95EEFD32.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • 6DAEAF0B-2184-47D2-9E47-9A7FEBC2A8D0.jpeg
    6DAEAF0B-2184-47D2-9E47-9A7FEBC2A8D0.jpeg
    986.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 37999FC3-428A-48A3-AD0D-4834A29563E3.jpeg
    37999FC3-428A-48A3-AD0D-4834A29563E3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
I think those are pigmentation, just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. How old is your axolotl?

Ok thank you.
I first noticed them towards the end of January and they haven’t gotten any worse since then so I presume it’s nothing to worry about.

I’m not sure the exact age but I have him 4 months now and he’s nearly 3 times as big as he was so if I’d have to guess I imagine he’s 5 or 6 months at most.

I’m getting a new freshwater test kit delivered soon just to be sure though. I’d appreciate a list of the proper water parameters if you wouldn’t mind though.
I had them right and the tank was fully cycled before adding him and they seemed similar enough throughout but after I ran out of tests I’ve left it for about 2 weeks so something could be wrong there.
I know that temperature is at a constant
16-17 degrees though so that’s not an issue

Aw, he is still baby axolotl. Cute.

Water parameters should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and like between 20-60 nitrates, pH around 7.5. My girl's tank is usually around 7.6, our water is somewhat hard here in my area of the US so we don't add anything, it just works out. Also, in the order of deadliness, ammonia (in my opinion) is the most dangerous and visible. Your axolotl would get burns if they had that going on. Nitrites are not as dangerous but they're also super hard to see, because all it does is make your axolotl super tired. I had a big nitrite spike in August and managed to catch it in time. My girl sprang right back to life as soon as she got fresh, cold water. Then nitrates, I don't know what they do in high numbers other than make it hard for the axolotl to get oxygen from the water.

Also, when you get your Fresh Water Master test kit or whatever, think about getting a spare, they expiration dates on them, usually on the individual bottles or on the bottom of the entire package. Like, I am going to buy a spare this summer, a year or so after I bought my first.

Your axolotl is still very young, their skin will change quite a bit. Mine is getting little black spots as she ages, she's 3 now. But legit, keep an eye on them, if you notice them getting bigger and you notice your axolotl is more aggressive, or lethargic, or refusing to eat, then you'd have a problem but the only thing I could think is ammonia, which you would be able to take care of quickly. You're on top of things, I can tell. Be vigilant but don't stress too much. These little guys are far more durable than they look.

Aw, he is still baby axolotl. Cute.

Water parameters should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and like between 20-60 nitrates, pH around 7.5. My girl's tank is usually around 7.6, our water is somewhat hard here in my area of the US so we don't add anything, it just works out. Also, in the order of deadliness, ammonia (in my opinion) is the most dangerous and visible. Your axolotl would get burns if they had that going on. Nitrites are not as dangerous but they're also super hard to see, because all it does is make your axolotl super tired. I had a big nitrite spike in August and managed to catch it in time. My girl sprang right back to life as soon as she got fresh, cold water. Then nitrates, I don't know what they do in high numbers other than make it hard for the axolotl to get oxygen from the water.

Also, when you get your Fresh Water Master test kit or whatever, think about getting a spare, they expiration dates on them, usually on the individual bottles or on the bottom of the entire package. Like, I am going to buy a spare this summer, a year or so after I bought my first.

Your axolotl is still very young, their skin will change quite a bit. Mine is getting little black spots as she ages, she's 3 now. But legit, keep an eye on them, if you notice them getting bigger and you notice your axolotl is more aggressive, or lethargic, or refusing to eat, then you'd have a problem but the only thing I could think is ammonia, which you would be able to take care of quickly. You're on top of things, I can tell. Be vigilant but don't stress too much. These little guys are far more durable than they look.
Thank you for helping me out here. That’s definitely a relief to hear nothing looks immediately bad.
I was actually able to get the test kit today and the results came back as,
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
PH: 7.4
Nitrates : Just under 5.0 ppm
(And temperature between 16-17 degrees Celsius)
Everything seems in order but I was concerned regarding the low number of Nitrates. Looking into it though am I right in saying that doesn’t really matter as long as their doing their job getting rid of nitrites and ammonia?

When did you do your last water change? That is the main reason why the nitrites are low. When I do a test right after a water change, it's usually like that. So I almost always wait a day after to check parameters. Since ammonia is cycled into nitrites by the filter, which is then cycled to nitrates, which cannot be cycled further, you just remove them. Usually if you have low nitrates, that means you have high nitrites, which you clearly don't. So I wouldn't worry about that.

When did you do your last water change? That is the main reason why the nitrites are low. When I do a test right after a water change, it's usually like that. So I almost always wait a day after to check parameters. Since ammonia is cycled into nitrites by the filter, which is then cycled to nitrates, which cannot be cycled further, you just remove them. Usually if you have low nitrates, that means you have high nitrites, which you clearly don't. So I wouldn't worry about that.
I did a water change was last Sunday and I do a 25% water change each Sunday normally but I did end up taking a little bit more than usual out last week though if that has anything to do with it?

I don't think so. I usually do at least 50% water changes for my girl, she's in a 20 gallon long. Once a month, usually, I take her out and put her in her tub while I do a much larger change. I also take her driftwood out and clean them. I've had success with the larger water changes. Ever since I started doing them, the water quality has improved more. But I also have 6 5 gallon buckets, that I fill with water from our bathtub and let sit over night. I put a normal plastic bag over them just to prevent dust from getting it. Like, the bags have some holes so any bad stuff can evaporate. So I always have spare, ready to go water.

I’m very careful with the water I use and I dechlorinate it ages in advance before putting it in. I’m lucky in the fact my water has a reasonable ph and seems to be very safe judging by the good health of my other aquatic pets of a few years now.
I’m always extra careful with the Axolotl though and I by no means treat him like a fish but in a similar sense to them I haven’t had any issues whatsoever with him with water quality these last few months and he’s never even had fungus which I heard is meant to be quite common and one of the main indicators somethings wrong.
The tank even went through a minor bacterial bloom within the first or second month he was added but recovered very quickly and has not re-emerged since.
I got professional help with the tank cycle from an Axolotl breeder when this happened and after two worrying weeks of stabilizing thankfully everything evened out. I was assured the tank was now definitely cycled after this event at the time and since not much has changed bar nitrates I assume it still is and hopefully I’m not dealing with a crashed cycle here.

Regardless, barring the Nitrates being on the lower side, as long as Nitrites and Ammonia are at 0, the ph isn’t too high or low and temperature is at a reasonable constant that means the water isn’t harmful right?

Aw man, you sound so on top of things, that makes me happy. The so-called gill fungus they get is part of a global thing. In the past, I want to say 20 years, there's been a mass extinction of amphibians, a great dying off. At least 1 breed of fungus has been linked to it. I think amphibians in general are just prone to it and that's why this new super fungus that obliterates toad and frog populations in like the Southern US, is a problem. I have never heard of an axolotl getting it though.

To answer your final question, yes, strive for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, don't let the nitrates get above 60, keep that temp between 12.7 Celsius and 18.3. I know in our US measurements, Fahrenheit, the lowest is 55, the highest is 65. In the winter, my girl's tank idles at 62, 16ish in Celsius. But in the summer it can get SUPER hot so I use ice packs to help with that.

I think you're doing the right things and I think your axolotl will do fine. Just keep an eye out for issues and don't stress too much. Just when you feed them or do a water change, take the time to really look them over, see if there any issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back