Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does this tiger salamander look bloated?

fragment

Reaction score
Or just fat?

Hey guys, so I bought this tiger sal at Tinley back at the beginning of October. "She" has always eaten voraciously for me. To the point where if I'm in the room for a period of time she'll poke her head out of her cave and then crawl towards me begging for food, even though she'd eaten the previous day. As tigers do, apparently. I thought she looked like she was getting fat, but then she loves to eat so I didn't think much of it. Then about 5 days ago on a feeding day, she didn't want to eat at all. And well, I'm a worrier.

She's since eaten again, but after looking for info online I'm worried that she may be bloated instead of fat. All this time I've had her I've never once seen something in her cage that I was 100% certain was poop. Her water dish has looked dirty sometimes, but she does have dirt in her cage. And it hasn't looked dirty for a while. So I'm worried maybe she has an impaction or something. If she does look bloated I'll take her to the vet, it's just I need to be certain something is wrong because unfortunately it's nearly a 2 hour drive to a decent herp vet.

Here are some pics. I'd say she's been this round for at minimum 2 weeks - my memory doesn't really extend much farther than that.

https://i.imgur.com/dzAGL5O.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wPU234R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/doVS6SI.jpg

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that she is a little over weight. You need to be strong here, and resist her begging for food :D This time of year, I have noticed that my females start to have a more rounded look in preparation for the breeding season.
My Tigers only get fed at the most twice a week a few earthworms.

fragment

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! :) And oh good, so it doesn't look weird or anything?

I've been kinda unsure of how often to feed her because I've read that adults should be fed 2-3 times a week and juveniles up to every other day, and I'm not sure if she qualifies as a juvenile or not. She's been out of the water I guess for about 3 months now.

RG

Reaction score
Looks really nice. Females, they eat almost continuously. Males sometimes skip food for a week. Do not give food with a high fat content. Then it will not go wrong.

Attachments

• 00100.jpg
    00100.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 2,231
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1