froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
Hi all,

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust - An international charity saving species from extinction) is running another of its Amphibian Conservation Husbandry courses on Jersey, UK from the 3rd to 7th June 2013.

The course, always popular in the past, will cover all of the important, basic areas of amphibian captive husbandry, from water quality to breeding triggers, from diet to temperature. It will also look at topics including population management, record keeping, conservation strategy and veterinary issues.
All topics are taught in an interactive manner and several include group tasks and challenges, including designing a captive husbandry protocol for an allocated amphibian species.

Participants will also have access to behind-the-scene facilities at Durrell Wildlfie Park as well as opportunity to discuss issues with teaching staff from a variety of institutions. Of course, there is also free access to Gerald Durrell's wildlife park itself, something not to be missed!

The course is open to hobbyists and 'professionals' alike and is always a friendly, discursive and informal forum.

The course fee is £750 (discounted to £600 if paid at least 8 weeks in advance). Optional full board on-site accommodation is available for £210 for six nights. All of the teaching staff are unpaid, so the fee covers the cost of running the course and goes toward conservation at Durrell.

The food is usually excellent and plentiful!

An official and recognised certificate of attendance and membership of the Durrell Conservation Academy will be presented on completion of the course.

For more details, see the attached flyer, respond to this thread with your question or email academy 'at' durrell.org

Best wishes

Chris Michaels

Attachments

• ACH 2013 Flyer.pdf
    603.8 KB · Views: 1,830
Last edited:

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MantellaGuy
Hi all,

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust - An international charity saving species from extinction) is running another of its Amphibian Conservation Husbandry courses on Jersey, UK from the 3rd to 7th June 2013.

The course, always popular in the past, will cover all of the important, basic areas of amphibian captive husbandry, from water quality to breeding triggers, from diet to temperature. It will also look at topics including population management, record keeping, conservation strategy and veterinary issues.
All topics are taught in an interactive manner and several include group tasks and challenges, including designing a captive husbandry protocol for an allocated amphibian species.

Participants will also have access to behind-the-scene facilities at Durrell Wildlfie Park as well as opportunity to discuss issues with teaching staff from a variety of institutions. Of course, there is also free access to Gerald Durrell's wildlife park itself, something not to be missed!

The course is open to hobbyists and 'professionals' alike and is always a friendly, discursive and informal forum.

The course fee is £750 (discounted to £600 if paid at least 8 weeks in advance). Optional full board on-site accommodation is available for £210 for six nights. All of the teaching staff are unpaid, so the fee covers the cost of running the course and goes toward conservation at Durrell.

The food is usually excellent and plentiful!

An official and recognised certificate of attendance and membership of the Durrell Conservation Academy will be presented on completion of the course.

For more details, see the attached flyer, respond to this thread with your question or email academy 'at' durrell.org

Best wishes

Chris Michaels

Do you know if they will do this again this year Chris? Kind of gutted I missed it really but was unable to go :/

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris Michaels
I'm not sure - it didn't happen in the end this Spring as we didn't hav enough people registering (first time this happened in years). I'll post again here if another one is planned.

C

mewsie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was gutted when I saw this post as my OH and I were in Jersey the week after (with work) and could easily have tagged an extra week on before! We were even AT the Durrell on the Saturday after the course ended :( So close...

I'll definitely be watching out for another course, and if you have some sort of mailing list for notifications, let me know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: RobynB27 has joined the room. +1