Dwarf Siren: Newbie Advice/Tank companions?

RJLatrans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I'm new into this and doing my research, though I've loved amphibians and reptiles for awhile. I'm currently taking time to set up my tank, and am trying to make plans to what to get for companion critters.

I've read that small, fresh water non-aggressive fish are good (like white cloud minnows), alongside other smaller non-aggresive newts or tree frogs like the red-spotted newt or the squirrel tree frog. But I wanted to hear if any of y'all had luck with other companions, and what I should look for.

Tank Notes: I plan to have 2 dwarf sirens who I'm building the tank around. The tank is a 29 gallon one, and right now my very-rough plans are to fill it 10-15 inches with water (the tank is 19 inches in height), have a custom-made stone platform made by yours truly with slate and aquarium glue (likely gonna get some moss to cover it), along with some floating devices like those lilies and floating log deco pieces. Also plants. A lot of plants. If I get a tree frog after researching tank set ups there will likely be a lot of branches added in. And likely a sand/gravel substrate base from what I've been reading and seeing in other's tanks, though may add leaves, bark and moss per more research.

Basically a lot is in flux right now as I overplan and replan everything and do more research. (Seriously... not planning to get anything until late october at the earliest, so taking my time.)

I may have also bought several decorative hidey-holes too because I was already getting the tank on sale at the store and they caught my eye.

Anyway! Although I'm focusing on dwarf sirens, I just want to make sure any tank mates I get would be just as comfortable in that setting.

Last edited:
I have never kept dwarf sirens so I can't advise on tankmates, but I have kept various tree frogs, and only 4 inches of height seems fairly small; so I would advise against the tree frog simply because it would be hard to provide for both the sirens and the tree frog in one enclosure.

I would advise against cohabing with other fish or amphibians. Have you considered a cleanup crew like Neocaridina shrimp and/or asellus aquaticus? I believe Carolina labs has both.

Putting fish or frogs in with them is asking for trouble. A nice aquascaped tank with a couple small shrimp in it should be o.k. I keep my dwarf sirens in a 20 gallon tank with Play sand on 2/3 of the bottom. I have a sponge filter in there, some oak leaves that were dried, some narrow leave Java fern on a piece of flat wood, and duckweed and crystal wort. When they quickly reach adult size i will move them to a 40 gallon tank.

I have never kept dwarf sirens so I can't advise on tankmates, but I have kept various tree frogs, and only 4 inches of height seems fairly small; so I would advise against the tree frog simply because it would be hard to provide for both the sirens and the tree frog in one enclosure.
Yeah between this and the more I research what frogs need, I think that will be a second tank dedicated to them down the road. Eventual goals. Even givng the tree frogs 9 inches, I would have trouble making enough ground space for them and the water would be cramped for the sirens. Thank you for the feedback!

Putting fish or frogs in with them is asking for trouble. A nice aquascaped tank with a couple small shrimp in it should be o.k. I keep my dwarf sirens in a 20 gallon tank with Play sand on 2/3 of the bottom. I have a sponge filter in there, some oak leaves that were dried, some narrow leave Java fern on a piece of flat wood, and duckweed and crystal wort. When they quickly reach adult size i will move them to a 40 gallon tank.
Is there a reason for it being trouble? I was going off entries like Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pseudobranchus
where it says as long as they are non-aggresive, they can be housed with others. If it's inaccurate I would appreciate any advice!

And thanks for the setup suggestions!

Ask Ed. He wrote that article. I think he is active on caudata.org facebook. I just don't like to mix animals that might compete, infect, or fight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back