Earthworm vs bloodworm confusion

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Soooo, my 10 month old lotl Lex has pretty much been feeding on blood worms up till yesterday when I fed him the first earthworm in a while. The reasons I delayed the switch so long is that Lex is somehow relatively fat (stomach bigger than head by a slight bit) off of just bloodworms, AND the last time he ate earthworms he basically went into a coma, and even this time he didn't seem fine with a live worm in his gut, though he wasn't as upset as last time, and just moved around this time instead. Anyways, a few questions on earthworms:

1. Is there less fat in earthworms than a cube of blood worms (0.3% in a cube) cuz I don`t want Lex getting fatter lol, and is it that big of a difference in protein? On that note how many pieces of earthworm should he get a day? (I feed him 2 blood worm cubes and a piece of brine shrimp a day.)

2. What size earthworm - I dug up some mediumism size (4-5" and relatively thin) earthworms and was wondering if the big juicy guys would be better for him, which connects with 3:

3. Where to get earthworms... I tried to dig in like 10 places around my yard just after raining and only found small to medium earthworms, not a single big guy in sight, don`t even think the birds had much success that day. How deep/ where are the big guys?

4. Anyone else have a lotl that just doesn`t like the idea of live food? (On that note Lex is weird cuz the first few weeks I had him he ate several meal worms, no problem...) Would it be at all a good idea if I fed him an earthworm that just recently died (ex. a half without the fat part that they need to live)? Do they usually chew worms more than this? Other tactics to get past this, or does Lex just need to "toughen up" :LOL:?

Thank you for your help.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soooo, my 10 month old lotl Lex has pretty much been feeding on blood worms up till yesterday when I fed him the first earthworm in a while. The reasons I delayed the switch so long is that Lex is somehow relatively fat (stomach bigger than head by a slight bit) off of just bloodworms, AND the last time he ate earthworms he basically went into a coma, and even this time he didn't seem fine with a live worm in his gut, though he wasn't as upset as last time, and just moved around this time instead. Anyways, a few questions on earthworms:

1. Is there less fat in earthworms than a cube of blood worms (0.3% in a cube) cuz I don`t want Lex getting fatter lol, and is it that big of a difference in protein? On that note how many pieces of earthworm should he get a day? (I feed him 2 blood worm cubes and a piece of brine shrimp a day.)

2. What size earthworm - I dug up some mediumism size (4-5" and relatively thin) earthworms and was wondering if the big juicy guys would be better for him, which connects with 3:

3. Where to get earthworms... I tried to dig in like 10 places around my yard just after raining and only found small to medium earthworms, not a single big guy in sight, don`t even think the birds had much success that day. How deep/ where are the big guys?

4. Anyone else have a lotl that just doesn`t like the idea of live food? (On that note Lex is weird cuz the first few weeks I had him he ate several meal worms, no problem...) Would it be at all a good idea if I fed him an earthworm that just recently died (ex. a half without the fat part that they need to live)? Do they usually chew worms more than this? Other tactics to get past this, or does Lex just need to "toughen up" :LOL:?

Thank you for your help.
Bloodworms are basically like feeding them potato chips. There is very little nutritional value in them, and just like potato chips, it can make them fat. A good diet of earthworms is by far superior in terms of nutrition. Most bait shops and LFS will carry earthworms. Be careful digging them out of garden areas that may have contact with pesticides and other chemicals as those can be lethal to your axolotl.

Generally speaking, you should be feeding him 1-2 earthworms (depending on their size) every other day. You can cut them into smaller pieces to make them easier for him to eat.

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
The biggest earthworms are not necessary deeper in the soil. The big species are mostly anecic : they move vertically, alternating surface (night) and deep soil (day).

One suggestion : you can put some cover objects (flat stones or pieces of wood) on wet soil (after having irrigated if to dry).
Then go and see from time to time. Earthworms of diverse size can be found under the cover object, without digging.

Another technique : planting a knife in wet soil and make it oscillate. The variations of pressure in the nearby soil will make the earthworms go out.

The last one : preferably on wet soil, put 2 glasses of mustard in 10 liters (2,5 gallons) water, shake, and pour on 1 square meter soil.
Within a quarter or hour, the earthworms will go out.

TheAngel1270

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some worms from Amazon and a worm farm from a company called The Mottled Lotl. They are kind of pricey but worth the investment, I think.

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The biggest earthworms are not necessary deeper in the soil. The big species are mostly anecic : they move vertically, alternating surface (night) and deep soil (day).

One suggestion : you can put some cover objects (flat stones or pieces of wood) on wet soil (after having irrigated if to dry).
Then go and see from time to time. Earthworms of diverse size can be found under the cover object, without digging.

Another technique : planting a knife in wet soil and make it oscillate. The variations of pressure in the nearby soil will make the earthworms go out.

The last one : preferably on wet soil, put 2 glasses of mustard in 10 liters (2,5 gallons) water, shake, and pour on 1 square meter soil.
Within a quarter or hour, the earthworms will go out.
wow very practical, I`ll be sure to try those out, thank you! Also, are medium sized worms still ok?

juca1658

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
juca1658
Let's simplify things: Order your worms and supplies from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm (Get a discount code!). Research how to keep worm compost. Set up your worm box. Take care of your worm box (hello composting!). Replenish it as needed. & eventually you'll never have to buy worms again. You know what they eat and they're always well fed. You choose the size. It's easier than you think and doesn't take up much room. Keep it outside in the shade.

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
Let's simplify things: Order your worms and supplies from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm (Get a discount code!). Research how to keep worm compost. Set up your worm box. Take care of your worm box (hello composting!). Replenish it as needed. & eventually you'll never have to buy worms again. You know what they eat and they're always well fed. You choose the size. It's easier than you think and doesn't take up much room. Keep it outside in the shade.
Yes. It's a good ecological way to get rid of vegetables peelings.
But not all axolotls accept to eat compost worms

marywithani

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you for your help.
Agree with the nutritional content/potato chip analogy reply. Disagree with the idea of digging them up from the yard idea. Known way to bring parasites into the picture, and depending on where you live, you could be introducing toxins from the soil (I live in a 123-yr old home just outside Cleveland, with a postage stamp backyard. I know there is a good chance of lead in the soil from house paint over the years.

Best bet is something like starting up a worm farm from a place like the Mottled Lotl (I heard a story about someone getting bad worms recently from Uncle Jim’s), or even a bait shop or pet store. I currently get mine from my local pet shop, but have just ordered a small worm farm from www.elmdirt.com . Red wigglers are smaller; night crawlers fatter and tougher, depending on which kind.

My Schmitty is 6 months old and I’m still feeding him daily (cutting back on twice/day; he’s definitely getting chonky). I use red wigglers because he seemed to have more problems getting the night crawlers down, even when I cut them up (I use scissors and a little handheld kitchen strainer to rinse, which you have to do because they emit a bitter substance when cut). Schmitty is big enough now that I am starting to give him whole red wigglers.

Best of luck! 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • opaltheaxolotl:
    I've seen a lot of people say different things about it in articles, and I don't know if feeding them frozen bloodworm cubes is good for my axolotl. Can someone help?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Bloodworms are not a great sole diet for small axolotl or bigger ones, though many people do use them exclusively. Your better off using eartworms which are considered a complete diet
    +1
    Unlike
  • opaltheaxolotl:
    okay, thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shay876:
    How long after axolotl start moving in egg do they hatch? Also when should I start the brine shrimp hatchery going?
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I just noticed two of the ghost shrimp in my axie tank have horsehair worms. I removed them immediately. Can these worms affect the axolotl and what would be the treatment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • maddyb9903:
    Hello guys! I was wondering about nitrates in an axolotl tank. If there are 0 nitrates, will that harm the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    0 nitrates doesn't sound dangerous, but it does sound very unlikely if the tank is fully cycled. Are you positive you're performing the test correctly? If you're using the API one, that is by far the trickiest test to do right. If the reading is correct, I would guess that either your tank is not cycled, you just did like a 100% water change, or that you have plants sucking up the nitrates, but even those shouldn't leave you with 0.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dragonfire:
    0 is fine unless the tank isn't cycled. Most tanks definitely won't run at 0, but I've had fast growing emergent plants drop nutrients so low that other plants like floaters were choked out and began dying so it isn't impossible. Some less sensitive kits may read 0 but they are just not precise enough to give an accurate low level reading too.
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    Hey Yall my Axolotl has this like tail thats like a dent on the top, I was told it was meant stress but idk whats stressing out my Axolotl. The plants recently gotten moved since they were falling apart but like she's been eating/pooping fine and the temp and water tests are good for the Axolotl. So I don't really know whats causing her to be stress. Does anyone know anything?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Post a picture of the dent (in the "Sick Axolotl" thread) please
    +2
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    How do I do that? Im new to this website
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    nvm I found ot
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    *it
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    did it
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    SalamanderNick has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Skeemloc:
    Hey are any still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! I’m having an issue with my filter and was hoping for some suggestions. I use an aqua clear 20-50 gallon filter for my 20 gallon axolotl tank. It has worked great since I got it back in December! Recently though, I’ve noticed the flow of the water has turned into more of an intense trickle than a constant flow (if that makes any sense?) I thought it may be something was stuck in the filter or maybe the sponge needed to be swished around in tank water, so I did both of these and it still trickles. It’s a very strong trickle, so the tank is still getting good filtration. It is just so loud and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there’s a way to fix it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Hmm, I don't know much about those filters, and I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, but could it be simply that your filtration media is arranged in a different way? Or maybe you're losing water content to evaporation? Just throwing out ideas. 😁 Again, I don't really know much about that kind of filter
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Hello all. My male axolotl's cloaca hasn't been looking quite right for 13 days. When I first noticed it, I immediately checked the temperature of his tank and it was around 70-71. Way too warm for him, so I took him out and have had him tubbed in the basement ever since. The temperature of his water is now 64-65. The issue seems to be that one 'half' of his cloaca is flared out and has white fuzzy stuff on it. It almost looks like a bunch of little white spikes of hair. Only one half is this way. Sometimes said half is flared out almost all the way, and other times it's almost completely back inside of him. I had him in tea baths overnight for probably five days, and then a solid 24 hours of mild tea for around three days. I don't remember exactly, my apologies.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Since it was looking better (not flared out so I couldn't tell if it was still fuzzy) I put him back in plain, dechlorinated water. He gets daily water changes, always dechlorinated. The tea I used was plain black tea. The brand was Lipton and it came in a large box, purchased from the grocery store. Does anybody know what this could be? I found a couple old threads with a similar issue, but nobody ever replied to them. I can post a thread if you'd like some pictures, but they aren't very good. My camera was having trouble focusing and my axolotl kept moving.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hey guys! Just made a post asking for help with an injured eastern newt. I could really use some help. if you would read it, I would really appreciate 🙏😌
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nexbane:
    @Audrey22, A salt bath *might* be a good idea, but I have never heard of them used for anything but axolotls. I would think as simplistic of a setup as possible would be best. Are you a member of the newts & salamanders group on facebook? You might have better luck getting more information quickly there! lots of the same members as here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe and absorb through their skin like sallies? Thats what I'm afraid of. Because I don't want them to absorb salt if that will hurt them. Anyways, I'll look at Facebook too
    +2
    Unlike
  • gulickje:
    I need guidance… my lotls been struggling. How do i tell if theres anything noticably wrong woth Trudeau? I dont see a way to post a pic here. Hes got like a pinkish spine like down back but everything else looks normal i think. Trixie( my MEL) has been pretty good i think. Both in same tank. Eat same food etc.
    +1
    Unlike
    gulickje: I need guidance… my lotls been struggling. How do i tell if theres anything noticably wrong woth... +1