Easiest species to breed

Martin21114

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I am looking to start breeding some amphibians and was wondering what species is the easiest to breed in captivity. I originally wanted some eastern notos, but I read they are difficult to breed. I also read axolotls or fire belly newts are some of the easiest to breed. Is this true? Are there any other commonly available easy to breed species?

thank you,

Marty

Notos are trickier than axolotls or fire bellys mostly because of their delicate efting stage and the lower temps required to trigger them to breed.

I would say that axolotls are probably the easiest. In a lot of cases they don't require any environmental triggers to breed and the larvae are pretty tough. Pleurodeles waltl are another good option, especially if you live in a warmer area where your water temps might creep up into the mid 70s. If you have limited space for a aquarium Chinese Fire Bellys might be the best option since 2 pairs can easily be kept in a 15 gallon tank.

Definitely axolotls. They're little aquatic rabbits. And if you're inclined, they come in designer colors!

Pleurodeles are a good beginner choice too. Hardy and personable, and pretty readily breed.

I recommend Cynops (Hypselotriton) cyanurus/chenggongensis. They breed easily, can be kept at room temp in warmer conditions, and the young'uns stay aquatic after metamorphosis, so no eft stage to worry about.

Ditto for alpine newts (Ichtyosaura alpestris apuana), as long as you can keep them cool (under 70 F) and provide a colder period in winter.

Both species are also extremely cute and active. They are smaller species, and require less space than Pleurodeles or axolotls

Last edited:
If you're only interested in the breeding capacities I'd say P. waltl. If the conditions are right, you'll be finding eggs several times each year. In my opinion they're breeding a little too easy.

We bred H. orientalis by accident shortly after getting a trio. They were our first amphibians too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back