Eastern Tiger or Barred Tiger legality in Indiana?

citrvsfrvits

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out whether or not it is legal to purchase or own one of these beauties in Indiana. I had someone on Facebook try to explain it to me, yet I still don't understand. I really want one of them, but I want to do it the right way. I'm not turned off of owning one of them if I do end up having to get a permit, I just want to make sure everything is as perfect as it can be with the law so I don't end up losing my potential new pet. I mean, I've tried looking at it myself, but it just feels like everything contradicts itself in every little way possible.

If someone who owns them in Indiana can give me a step in the right direction, that would be awesome. I am contacting DNR via email on top of this thread, so I can see if I can get any responses about this before DNR gets back to me. Thanks!

Here is the relevant code.

You need to scroll down to page 51.

The answer as I read it is that the eastern tiger salamander is native to Indiana but not endangered. It is legal to collect up to 4 with a hunting license or to import. If you want to sell them you need a license.

The western tiger salamander is not native to Indiana and thus not regulated beyond the usual 'don't release'.

Hopefully you will get someone knowledgeable at DNR to confirm for you. In my experience general inquiries with my states dnr (maryland) are met with surprising ignorance. But if I contact an individual in a section that sounds like they might know (amphibian ecology or outreach etc) they are almost certain to be able to answer the question. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back