Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern tiger salamander parasites

Cindyrads

Reaction score
So I bought 2 eastern tiger salamanders from underground reptiles and they arrived yesterday. I thought I was getting adults but they still had their gills. They were packed in cups with moist substrate but no water so that confused me a bit. My tank was not set up for them in this stage so I set them up in a 10 gallon with half rocks and a few inches if water. They are in the process of morphing.

Now, they have little hard bumps on them that I assume are parasites. I've done a bunch of looking online but haven't found anything conclusive. Does anyone know what these are and how do I get rid of them safely if they are parasites?

Attachments

• 20201007_092802.jpg
    20201007_092802.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 264
  • 20201007_092345.jpg
    20201007_092345.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 20201007_092137.jpg
    20201007_092137.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201007_092442.jpg
    20201007_092442.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20201007_092517.jpg
    20201007_092517.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 129

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Most likely parasites, if that was even a question. Underground Reptiles I kinda despise, near to 3/4 of their stock in wild-collected even things that readily breeding in captivity. I assume any axolotl parasite water treatment will work since there so similar in this state. I am not the most versed in this, luckily, Wait for the input of someone more experienced before continuing. Its sad they were packed in wet substrate notwter they were probably very short in breath.

Cindyrads

Reaction score
You know I went online and checked reviews on them because I thought I had seen bad comments over the years. I also heard bad things about backwater reptiles and i wasn't sure if maybe i had confused them. The reviews i found on underground were positive so I thought I was mistaken. 🤨

Cindyrads

Reaction score
I would wait and see how mine do and see what this parasite is first. I ordered them last Thursday and they called and said they were out of them but were getting more in Friday. If you order now I'd assume they were from the same batch mine came from.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I'm sorry to create concern. I didn't mean to worry anyone. I am just a firm believer in CB, so what I see as a negative is definitely also taken as a positive. They always list the collection form of the animal. And I looked back at the site, my original post was an exaggeration and many of the field collects are actually good. (Wild collected babies from Florida were they are invasive.) I Agree Backwater Reptiles is BAD. They often don't know what animal they actually have and are the animals definitely aren't quite cared for ideally.

Once again sorry to concern anybody. I prefer not to buy from myself but there is nothing wrong with supporting them. My initial goal was to say...

"They are wild-caught as with many other animals available. They are possibly parasites with this information as an influence."

I'm from Michigan home to the infamous Brian Barczyk, and trust me I would prefer Underground Reptiles!

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
So I bought 2 eastern tiger salamanders from underground reptiles and they arrived yesterday. I thought I was getting adults but they still had their gills. They were packed in cups with moist substrate but no water so that confused me a bit. My tank was not set up for them in this stage so I set them up in a 10 gallon with half rocks and a few inches if water. They are in the process of morphing.

Now, they have little hard bumps on them that I assume are parasites. I've done a bunch of looking online but haven't found anything conclusive. Does anyone know what these are and how do I get rid of them safely if they are parasites?
So I looked at the site, you were given water dogs, the large form of tiger salamanders, so good job getting them Setup in a aquarium. If you haven’t already contact them... Tgey should know that a worker, possibly a new guy, accidentally packed a water dog on substrate when it doesn’t have gills get.

Another tip about the Sals on the site, never let your tiger get that big! They follow the same rules as axolotls in correct weight observation. The belly should be as wide as the head. Don’t worry yours are currently a good weight they are skinnier as large cause they are putting energy toward developing.

Quag

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me, I just got a tiger from them and it arrived the same way. It also has bumps too so I'm assuming they are parasites but I've never owned a salamander before so I'm not completely sure.

Cindyrads

Reaction score
@Cindyrads

So did you buy the water dogs or the salamanders from underground reptiles?
I ordered Salamanders but they sent me water dogs. They are in the process of morphing. Technically I got what I ordered but I wasn't prepared for them because I was expecting adults. If you want to order from them I would call them to place the order and ask exactly what they will be sending you.

Cindyrads

Reaction score
Most likely parasites, if that was even a question. Underground Reptiles I kinda despise, near to 3/4 of their stock in wild-collected even things that readily breeding in captivity. I assume any axolotl parasite water treatment will work since there so similar in this state. I am not the most versed in this, luckily, Wait for the input of someone more experienced before continuing. Its sad they were packed in wet substrate notwter they were probably very short in breath.
Yeah I called them right away. The guy told me I could just put them in their water bowl and that they would probably be morphing soon. That seemed stupid so I put them in the 10 gallon and then today I decided to set them up appropriately in a 30 gallon with a filter. Thank God I have axolotls
So I looked at the site, you were given water dogs, the large form of tiger salamanders, so good job getting them Setup in a aquarium. If you haven’t already contact them... Tgey should know that a worker, possibly a new guy, accidentally packed a water dog on substrate when it doesn’t have gills get.

Another tip about the Sals on the site, never let your tiger get that big! They follow the same rules as axolotls in correct weight observation. The belly should be as wide as the head. Don’t worry yours are currently a good weight they are skinnier as large cause they are putting energy toward developing.

Yeah I called them right away. The guy told me I could just put them in their water bowl and that they would probably be morphing soon. That seemed stupid so I put them in the 10 gallon and then today I decided to set them up appropriately in a 30 gallon with a filter. Thank God I have axolotls and extra tanks and filters.

Any idea about what these parasites might be?

Cindyrads

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me, I just got a tiger from them and it arrived the same way. It also has bumps too so I'm assuming they are parasites but I've never owned a salamander before so I'm not completely sure.
Yeah I would really like to know what they are and how to get rid of them or if its even necessary.

BensBeasts

Reaction score
Well I guess they made you pay way more money for them cause the water dogs are $25 and the actual salamanders are $30

Cindyrads

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know what I am going to do. I might just got to Baltimore repticon in December.

That's probably a good idea. Then you can see what you're buying. I emailed them and asked for a refund for the price difference and asked them to have someone look at these bumps to see what they think it might be. I just got done giving these guys a salt bath. I hope it helps.

Cindyrads

Reaction score
The manager got back to me and they are refunding me the difference. 🙂 She also said the bumps aren't parasites. She said they look like rubs from transport. I hope she is right, I will be keeping an eye on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!