Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern tiger salamanders

BensBeasts

Reaction score
I have a few questions. First, I found a group of 3 for $80 is this a good price? And a shipping price of $45. I would also be buying isopods with it for $10. And could I us a bin that is larger than a 10 gal tank but shorter in height than it? Thank you for your input

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
That price is fair you could probably negotiate somewhere into the 70s. Make sure Isopods are smaller and not very carnivorous so not a porcellio species. You should have 10 gallons per salamander, a 20 long with 6-7 hides will work for the three you are getting. Bigger is always better of course! But I understand size constraints and price constraints. Just a reminder cause it is the most important thing for tigers keep the soil 4inches deep or more and always moist, ideally you have a section about a 1/3 normally that is dryer than the rest so they can control their water level. Lids are preferred for tanks these guys are escape artist!

BensBeasts

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of using a 1 foot tall by like 25 or 30 in. bin. So it would fit in the space I am preparing. Do you think I can keep them in one enclosure?

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Yes that should work fine, especially if it is a little over a foot wide in the X axis I would love to see your set up when it is done! Tips for decorations, flat hides get slate from a local aquarium store and get cork flats from a local exotics store, get like 5 flat hides than a piece of drift wood spanning around maybe half the tank with some fake foliage, this will give them ample hides and lots of space to explore and weave them selves in and out of. Leaf litter is good too as well as moss. Another tip, tong feeding will work best if you have the ability, you can monitor that all of your tigers are eating the same amount and if they don’t want to eat.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Also one last question can I put plants in the enclosure?
One of the best questions, Yes! But, they have to be in a planter Because these guys are big and active, they will dig up the roots and trample smaller plants. A Terracotta is best and don’t use any non organic soils, ABG would probably be best. Cork rounds can be used for a more naturalistic pot. ( you can also use the pots they came in) They are setup and similar to a larger more active Pacman frog they like some open soil, it can have leave but they prefer to not have every inch of their tank covered in moss like some salamanders. An additional note to the setup, If doing a hydroton layer make sure it is well secured, I’ve heard horror stories of drownings. The salamander can get in but can’t get out. You don’t actually need a hydroton layer for this species, they enjoy moist no soaking soil and there shouldn’t be enough water in the soil to need a drain. Don’t feel bad about asking questions when I got mine years back I must have looked up what food they eat like 10 times. I wish I had this platform when I started. (To bad I didn’t find it) Good Luck. You will love them.

P.S.Keep up the good work in the Youtube page very informative and entertaining!

BensBeasts

Reaction score
I have heard that about hydroton to, I won’t be using it. Plus having a hydroton layer gets rid of room for soil.
I will definitely use pots to protect the plants.

I was planning on using something like plantation soil, eco earth, and repti soil.

Thank you for answering my questions.
And thank you for watching my YouTube channel, the next video is about my ants.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I have heard that about hydroton to, I won’t be using it. Plus having a hydroton layer gets rid of room for soil.
I will definitely use pots to protect the plants.

I was planning on using something like plantation soil, eco earth, and repti soil.

Thank you for answering my questions.
And thank you for watching my YouTube channel, the next video is about my ants.
Perfect! I use eco earth all “dirt-like” soils work, I know all about the space being taken up by hydroton. (I haff cc’ddcan Exo Terra for mine. So only 5-6 inches of available space for soil in the front.

Funny ant story... I wanted to collect a queen this year during Nuptial flight. I didn’t cause my mom would kill me. She already doesn’t like my springtails and Isopods. LOL

BensBeasts

Reaction score
I am sorry that you cannot keep them, ants are truly awsome to keep!

When I found my queen ant this year I was putting down my camper, and noticed her crawling on the ground.

Again thank you so much for answering my questions!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1