Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Easy to care for plants for my newt's tank?

Megan9689

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if there's a specific type of plant that would do well in my newt's tank water: are there any that do fine without a special light? I would like to have real plants in my tank but really want something low-maintenance.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Yeah java moss lives through any lighting conditions. I feel like Java ferns are like that as well.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With low maintenance in mind, if you can position the tank where it gets a good amount of morning sun than you could probably get elodea/ anacharis to do well. This plant does not need to be planted as it does great floating, and it helps to keep water quality good.

As a caveat, if you do go with the natural sun method be sure to monitor water temperature very closely. In the winter this most likely will not be a problem, but come summer there is the potential that the water can warm up too much for your newt.

HJ

Richie373

Reaction score
I've always found Anubias, Java fern, elodea, hornwort and amazon swords to do well in low light tanks.
Mosses such as fontinalis and Java moss do very well too, and of course floating plants such as water lettuce are quick growing and inexpensive.
All with cold water too.
As mentioned above, if you can get some form of natural light that would be good.
Show us pictures once you've planted it up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!