Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg Progress

forester

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the one in the first picture is going to be an interesting color, but I guess we'll see! :D

I've been so fascinated by the eggs developing, but unfortunately I have no macro lens. Until today, clear pictures were impossible (though I couldn't help but try!)

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 146

forester

Reaction score
First hatchling!! I found it this morning, so it must have hatched while I was asleep!! :D

It's very light, so I'm quite curious about what color it will turn out to be.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 146

forester

Reaction score
Thanks! Good luck with your new axies! Be sure to post pictures for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forester

Reaction score
I now have four hatchlings!! The last one seems to have hatched too early though, as it's been slightly behind the others. I've read on here that it probably won't survive. :( I guess we'll see, hopefully it's just small.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 150
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mash_01:
    @AxolotlMama, Congratulations.
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    Do you guys think I could put some water ina clear tote and put my salamande rin to swim around? For enrichment and fun kinda deal? Do you think he would even like that? or would he sketch cuz its just water and the bottom is like 2 feet down kinda deal? Can they swim well? I dont want to drop him in and scare him unless I know for certainnheh can swim.I havent googled it yet. I know they go into vernal pools, but a vernal pool is a lot different than 2 to 3 feet of water straight down.
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    Google says " Free-living adults rarely enter water other than for breeding, but a shallow, easily-exited water bowl will be utilized by captives. " is that true? So he would HATE dropping him in some nice deep water to swim around for a little bit?" Hes got a nice big tank to wander around in but I find he constantly wants to just chill under his big hidey rock, and peek out every once in a while Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    *He DOES have a nice big pool in there thats like 1.5 -2 inches deep. I find him soaking in it with his head up sometimes but just fihued maybe hed enjoy a swim?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    SO NO ONE lets their salamander swim around here? NO ONE?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Nursery Human:
    @FragileCorpse, One of my tigers likes to be underwater most of the day hiding out under rocks then comes up for air every few minutes.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nursery Human:
    My water is about 6" deep and the Tiger is about 8" long so it can easily prop itself up on corners of the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    Help does my eggs still look good?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    Would anybody mind taking a look at my post
    +1
    Unlike
  • Zach the Axie guy.:
    I'm experiencing fungus and my axi has been responcless for over 6 hours and there are very destictive veins around his body and his gills have disappeared and I'm really sad that he's dead but me and my familly are preparing a tea bath for him but if he does survive we've ordered Indian almond leaves for Monday. Everyone please hope the best for me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Captive Bread:
    Is it fine to feed adult marbled newts once every 10-15 days?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Captive Bread:
    they get fat after eating their worm pieces and it takes a long time to look as thin as they do in wild life pictures. there are no other prey items available around here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    So, how often do I have to change the soil in my yellow spotteds terrarium? The soil looks fine, he stays under his rock all the time, so should I maybe only change put the soil from udner the rock? Or do I change it all out cuz its all stayed moist and I dont wnat it it mold kinda deal? Its been around 40 days with the same soil. It looks and smells completely fine though. I dont know what salamander poop even looks like, but Im not even finding any. I put pill bugs in his cage for him and they disappear, theyre not burrowing, so he MUST be eating them. What am I looking out for when the soil needs to be changed? Clearly the people whos aid they were coming to seize my salamander have forgotten and arent coming back.
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    @Zach the Axie guy., Oh nooo, Im so sorry to hear that :( Whats the word? DId ;little buddy survive? I hope so <3
    +1
    Unlike
  • FragileCorpse:
    Someone pelase let me know about the eco earth change. I want to keep my little bud safe.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Captive Bread:
    what newt species breed the most easily?
    +1
    Unlike
  • rhinogobius:
    Probably spanish ribbed newts
    +1
    Unlike
    rhinogobius: Probably spanish ribbed newts +1