Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs in NYC

chaimdov

Reaction score
I have a number of different species laying eggs right now. The axolotls are doing fine, but other species the eggs are not hatching (three different breeders). I did not notice any fungal growth, just thousands of eggs not developing. I did try to m. blue, but for the most part nothing except in unreasonably high concentrations where 20% of the eggs developed. I have friends who breed cichlids and angel fish and they are also experiencing low fertility. I had the same problem September of last year. Anyone else in NY having a similar experience?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It isn't unusual for first eggs from young breeders to be infertile. It is not unusual for first eggs of the laying season to be infertile. Sometimes viability problems can be traced back to the diet of the parents. My guess is the eggs will get better as things cool down a little more. Boosting the adults diets a little couldn't hurt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!