Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency ambystoma opacum

troll85

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new in the forum.

One of my two A.Opacum is very very ill!! She is lethargic, doesn't eat nothing, the skin is dehydrated and the eyes are opaques (matts). I don't know what I can do. I don't know if is the infection or if is the hot. The temperature is 17C°-21 °C. Can you hel me, please? Close to me, is very very difficult to find veterinarians specializing in amphibians !

Please help me, because I think that she is going to die....

Thank-you.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that may be too hot. Is she moist enough? Are you feeding crickets? If you're feeding crickets they may be biting her.

troll85

Reaction score
Hi,
thank-you for your response.

Too hot...maybe...
But how do you explain the opacity of the eyes?
I don't use crickets but only mealworms and honeycomb moths....

There is high umidity and I put fresh water always...but immediately she becomes deydrated

Another thing....while the other salamander stays underground (under the moss), she stays always on the moss, which is not typical for this species....

Some advice urgently????

Thank you so much!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It is definitely a symptom but of what is hard to say, could be an infection or secondary to husbandry. If you can't get to a vet if it were me I would:
1. Separate the animal from the other one.
2. Place it into a container with moistened paper towels as a substrate and crumpled moistened paper towels as hides. Change substrate every other day or when soiled.
3. Make sure this container is well ventilated.
4. Get it into a cool area under 70F, use an icepack under the container if necessary.

I've seen an A. opacum with these symptoms that was maintained in a small aquarium without ventillation, at 75F temps, with a top made of plastic wrap used to maintain moisture. High humidity and warm temps will lead to health problems.

This caresheet describes an appropriate setup in general for A. opacum:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

troll85

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

I immediately made all your advices!

At this point I think that...maybe the problem is the hot....

For the summer...can you give me some advice?...and some method to maintain low temperatures???

Thank you.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The opacity of the eyes is likely to be an effect of the diet. Both mealworms and waxworms are high in fat. A diet of waxworms does cause the eyes to become opaque, no question. In addition to Jan's suggestions, you really need to change their diet.

Here is an article about cooling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling
I would recommending filling some plastic containers with water and switching them back and forth between the tank and the freezer. Be careful that they don't leak and flood the terrarium.

troll85

Reaction score
Thank-you so much!! Thank you for the link!!!

She seems to be better....extraordinarily!!!

I use only mealworms and waxworms because they don't accept other types of food! I tried in every way!! Believe me!

Now I'll try to develop some method of cooling...

Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1