Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Enlarged Cloacae - a Danger to Young Females?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My "larvae" aren't larvae anymore. As a matter of fact, I am wondering at which point one stops calling them juvenile and starts recognizing them as adults (and isn't that every parent's problem?). Ergo my question: the axolotls are variously between 15 and 20 cm long. Their (wild type) toe tips are white and the males are obviously male. Now I am wondering, are they too obviously male? Could it be that their cloacae are not just pronounced, but swollen - i.e., they are ready, willing, and able to reproduce? Here I was smirkingly thinking that at least two of "my" axolotls are well endowed; now I am concerned for the safety of their sisters.

The females are most definitely too young to breed (my opinion, not necessarily nature's dictate). I have them all in the same aquarium. I would prefer not to let a clutch of eggs be the first sign that it is time to separate them. Can someone advise me? The little darlings hatched on April 20, 2008, and so are now pretty much exactly 8 months old.

Thanks in advance,

-Eva

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Eva, it states on the breeding page of axolotl.org that axolotls can reach sexual maturity from 5 months onwards. Might be time to separate yours lol.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I found that the males appeared to look very male like early on, I did separate them when it became apparent. The juvenile female kept her sex secret for close to 10 months, she developed greyish finger tips ( she being gold) and then promptly laid eggs. So keep a close eye on their toes..:p

Jake

Reaction score
I've had males mature at 15 cm or even slightly smaller. I agree, separate the sexes.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Thanks y'all - I kind of "used" y'all here... I knew the answer, but I needed it in print so I could... **** convince Thomas I need a new aquarium!!! ****

It worked. :D

And right you are, it is indeed time to separate them. Thomas just wasn't listening to me. He listened to y'all, though. He can't argue with us all! (He isn't even a member here, tststs.)

Thanks again for responding. If my lovely young axolotls could type, they would thank you, too.

-Eva, very happy soon-to-be-new-owner of another tank hehehe

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to tell Thomas that if he doesn't get you a new tank, you could very well need hundreds of tupperware tubs to raise all the babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!