Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Entire Gill Burning off, please help!

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Axolotls don't really "develop teeth". They naturally have very rudimentary teeth, more little little ridges, that allow them to grip and manipulate their food around. They don't really chew things. if he does it again, try to get a video of it. It's hard for me to say what he's doing without seeing it.
Ok! I’ve been watching her for a bit, and she’s haven’t done it in awhile. Other people say that the black line in on their mouth is just her teeth devloping. I’ll try to get a vid when she does it again!

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Ok! I’ve been watching her for a bit, and she’s haven’t done it in awhile. Other people say that the black line in on their mouth is just her teeth devloping. I’ll try to get a vid when she does it again!
Yes, that black line is where their teeth are. Its visible on all light colored axolotls, we just don't normally see it unless their mouth is open

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Yes, that black line is where their teeth are. Its visible on all light colored axolotls, we just don't normally see it unless their mouth is open
I got a video! she isn’t eating any sand, I was watching. The camera is a bit blurry sorry. Also, I don’t have any hides because I ordered some in a bit .far. Away. They’ll be coming soon though!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

AMurry24537

Reaction score
The teeth you're seeing aren't really like human teeth at all; as has already been mentioned, it a line of cartilage-like material that they use for gripping. The teeth aren't sharp; it won't hurt if they bite you. Think like rubber grips on, I don't know, the closest thing I can think of is an eyelash curler. When they "chew," it's basically them trying to get a better grip on their food while they slowly force it into their stomach.

In the video, it doesn't look like she's been eating, which indicates to me that she might be trying to throw something up. That could be sand. If there's sand around, they will likely injest at least some of it along with their food, which can cause problems (possible impaction, ammonia pockets in the sand, difficult cleaning, etc.), especially with young axolotls. This is why bare bottom aquariums are often used.

If she seems lethargic, that would seem to indicate some other possible problems. Have you done recent checks on water temp, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate?

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
The teeth you're seeing aren't really like human teeth at all; as has already been mentioned, it a line of cartilage-like material that they use for gripping. The teeth aren't sharp; it won't hurt if they bite you. Think like rubber grips on, I don't know, the closest thing I can think of is an eyelash curler. When they "chew," it's basically them trying to get a better grip on their food while they slowly force it into their stomach.

In the video, it doesn't look like she's been eating, which indicates to me that she might be trying to throw something up. That could be sand. If there's sand around, they will likely injest at least some of it along with their food, which can cause problems (possible impaction, ammonia pockets in the sand, difficult cleaning, etc.), especially with young axolotls. This is why bare bottom aquariums are often used.

If she seems lethargic, that would seem to indicate some other possible problems. Have you done recent checks on water temp, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate?
Yes I have. Ammonia and nitrites 0. The nitrates are at 5
i also feed her separately from the tank.. I think I should stop doing that, since others say it stresses them out more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1