Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Excursion to Edinburgh (any advice on Scottish herping?)

AndyKraemer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know I'm not well known to many of you yet, but I'm making an effort to be more involved with the online community of caudate enthusiasts this year. If you have any questions about who I am, feel free to check out my research webpage: http://kraemer1.public.iastate.edu/

If anyone will be herping in Iowa this year and is looking for a local herper for company in the field, I'm your man. Be forewarned, I'm not from Iowa, so my herping skills start once at a site. I'm nearly useless finding new sites in this state.

So anyway, I'll be spending next week in Edinburgh and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or favorite spots (pm if location advice) in and around the city. John said I should ask you folk for advice. I have never been to Europe before, so I'd be tickled pink to see some common frogs and toads. I have a special affinity for tailed amphibians (of course), so any advice on searching out local newts will be especially welcome. It may be a little early for the reptiles, but you never know...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Andy

caleb

Reaction score
Might be worth contacting Lothian ARG:
Lothian Amphibian and Reptile Group - Lothian Amphibian and Reptile Group

Edinburgh botanic garden apparently has common frogs- they certainly have a number of ponds.

I live about 100 miles south of Edinburgh, and our frogs haven't really got going yet- they've been held back by the unusually cold weather. We've not had much newt activity either, for the same reason.

I've not seen any signs of toads yet this year, they usually emerge a couple of weeks after the frogs have spawned.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I agree with Caleb the lothian reptile and amphibian group are a good group to meet up with i am in touch with them after finding out they existed last year.Although due to my work and family demands i couldnt make any of their pond surveys etc last year , i will p.m you my phone number and email i can reccomend lots for you to do in Edinburgh touristic and herping and if the timing is right can take you to my herping spots although its quite cold here and where i go there is toads frogs and palmate newts not much else

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!