Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Expelled abcess in Siren Intermedia

tswaterdog

Reaction score
Posting my experience here in hopes that maybe someone has encountered something similar or can shed a little more light on things. I have two captive-bred lesser sirens, approximately 8 months old, one has grown significantly larger than the other so I believe that one is male and one female. On April 19th I took both animals from their tank briefly to do some maintenance (filter and water change and adding a group of new plants) and observed nothing unusual. She was very secretive for the next two days, which I assumed was just due to the changes in the environment, but on April 21st I observed a very large swelling about one third down her body. The swelling increased and around April 25th I saw what appeared to be a wound on the underside below the area, I had not observed anything external before but thought perhaps I just had not seen it. I moved the animal to a separate tank and added extra stress coat and tetra Lifeguard. Again the animal hid for the next 36 hours or so and when she emerged again the swelling had started to erupt, breaking open the skin. On April 29th the mass detached completely and I removed it from the tank. At first, the siren seemed to recover quickly and was active and swimming but still not taking food. The following day however she became very lethargic and by the next morning was barely moving. The area where the mass erupted had not closed and there was a lot of exposed tissue. As she was barely able to move her head and I did not see any chance for recovery at that point I euthanized the animal. A veterinarian who was kind enough to view my emails and respond said it appeared to be an abscess that ruptured and came detached. Photos are posted below. If anyone else has seen this in other sirens or salamanders or has any further insight as to how or why it happened any information it would very much be appreciated

Attachments

• SickSiren_1.jpg
    SickSiren_1.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 713
  • SickSiren_2.jpg
    SickSiren_2.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Sick Siren_3.jpg
    Sick Siren_3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Sick Siren_4.jpg
    Sick Siren_4.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Sick Siren_5.jpg
    Sick Siren_5.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Sick Siren_6.jpg
    Sick Siren_6.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Sick Siren_7.jpg
    Sick Siren_7.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 265

einarrito

Reaction score
I apologize since this isn't related but I was wondering if you have had any luck with tanks mates for the lesser? I am going to be acquiring a pair of lessers here in a few weeks

tswaterdog

Reaction score
By tank mates do you mean whether the sirens got along alright with each other or do you mean other species that could share the tank with them?

einarrito

Reaction score
Others to share a tank with them, the 2 sirens I am acquiring have already been in a tank together for awhile now and its a 75g. Im placing both of them in a 125g

tswaterdog

Reaction score
I have still not replaced the one that died and have not had any experience introducing a new animal to an existing group, but I've not heard of any problems in that respect, I would recommend posting on the main page or check out the Facebook group "Dwarf, Lesser and Greater Siren Owners and Enthusiasts". Its a great group very helpful and pretty active

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1