Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

External Filter Question

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
Is it bad to have the external filter at the same height level of a tank, like right beside it?

Typically its instructions include a diagram of the filter being under the tank in a cabinet but my circumstances are challenging in where I have a tank right now in this very same situation with no problems but look to upgrade to both a larger tank and filter and really do not want any challenges especially in the higher price tags of external filters.

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
I figured out by the way that this is BAD. The solution to my problem was to get an additional pump placed before the external filter to help the filter draw water in and push it out.

External filters are placed under tanks and engineered so that gravity can pull the water down while the actual motor send water up into the tank.

This is for those using Eheim external filters. Pictures/Video I'll probably record how to set up and do over YouTube or Vimeo or something.

wolfen

Reaction score
be careful though the seal on an external filter isn't designed for high pressure so any pre-pump has to be equal or less than the external pump/filter.

Bishop.69

Reaction score
My understanding is that most, if not all, cannister filters are gravity fed and require being under the tank...
I have to say, I just installed a Fluval 107 to filter/power my drip wall paludarium, and I couldn't be happier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!