Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN to die soon..starved..Tried EVERYTHING!! HELP!!

P

pam

I've had my FBN for 3-5 months...and he has only ate twice..I do water changes..checked for ammonia..that was clear..tried crickets..worms..meal worms..and blood worms..won't eat anything..water is below 70..put frozen bottles of water in and I am out of ideas..can a vet do anything? I have spent over 100 dollars trying to keep him alive..different pumps..and everything.. no noises to bother him..nothing I don't want it to die.. Any suggestions would help..

J

jennifer

Pet shop FBN are taken from the wild. They are poorly cared for in transit (all the way from China) and at the pet shop. Some of them just never make the adjustment into captivity. Sounds like you have been doing your best for him.

The best bets for getting him to eat are live blackworms or pieces of chopped earthworm (still wiggling). Put them right in front of him, but without scaring him. If he won't eat in his regular tank, you could try keeping him temporarily in a plastic box where you can monitor him more closely (and get him right up next to the food). I hope this works, but once an animal is starved, its hard to bring them back to normal. Is he living in the water, or staying on land?

M

matt

Were the bloodworm live?
Try whiteworm... get a culture and drop some into the water.
If he is big enough, tempt him with a very small white slug if you have them / can find them in the garden.
Good luck.

I

innes

is it a chinese or japanise?
I find my japanise will only eat in the water and it will eat fish food.
I suggest putting it in a tank with nothing at the top for it to sit on, wait until it goes to the bottom and add some fish food.

J

jennifer

Innes, fish food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of fish, not amphibians. I would suggest (at the least) supplementing the fish food with worms and bloodworms.

I agree that forcing a land-bound newt into the water might get it to eat. It would be better to get it to enter the water voluntarily, if possible. Pam didn't say whether the newt is staying on land or in the water.

U

(unregistered

the newt stays on a rock..the rock is nearly completely covered with water..enough for his head to stick out..he is looking very thin now..sorry took so long to get back.. He is a japanese fbn.

W

waldo

you need to get some blood worms NOW!try putting your FB in a shallow dish with a little water(enough to cover him)and a few worms,if he doesn't like blood worms,then try some soft sinking newt pellets.I feed mine HBH Newt & Salamander bites and they love them.By the way,what is your water temp?

P

pam

i leave newt pellets with him all the time..I put him in a shallow dish..covered him with water and tried to get him to eat the blood worms..he wouldn't eat..he would turn his head the other way..when I put a wiggling worm in as soon as it touches his chin or head he turns a goes away from it..my water temp during the day..sometimes reaches 70..but as soon as I get home or if someone else is home i try to get them to put a frozen bottle of water in..I freeze his own water and put in the ice cubes and let them melt..he doesn't like the pellets never once ate..and I have even tried feeding him on the bottom..in fact right now he is on the bottom the water temp is 65.and I dropped 2 pieces of earthworm in and he just sits there. I feel that there is nothing I can do..and I have tried everything..I believe his is just going to slowly pass..I hope soon because he is so weak..he can barely walk..I love the little guy and I appreciate your advice..but I think he is too far gone. But I hope he will pull out of it. thanks again.. keep giving suggestions..I will try anything..

I

innes

I would try daphnia or even brineshrimp.
put it in a tank where it can walk on the bottom and add either daphnia or regular fish food, That is what mine eats the most.
sometimes they wont eat because they are shedding there skin so if it doesn't today, perhaps tommorrow.
also I don't know if it will like Ice!
they are happy at 70.

P

pam

when i put the ice in is when it gets in the water the most or bottled water..he likes the cold.. I will try the fish food..I put a wiggling worm in front of him every night and eventually he just walks away from it.. He just never has adapted to his environment. But thank you for the suggestions and I will try fish food tomorrow.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!