Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Aside from FFs, is there another easily obtained food source? I would prefer to not culture FFs as they will not need that small of prey too long at all. Will they accept worm tips? I was reluctant to offer this as they feed on insects found in/on the bark of trees in the wild.

All my thanks!

A few pics to follow for reference. The metamorphs are quite small at the moment, about pinky nail sized.

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2312 crop.jpg
    IMG_2312 crop.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2323 crop.jpg
    IMG_2323 crop.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_2329 crop.jpg
    IMG_2329 crop.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2330 crop.jpg
    IMG_2330 crop.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2331 crop.jpg
    IMG_2331 crop.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
A.C.
Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, it is appreciated!

JBear

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
...adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect.Good luck!

My adults have always hand fed when I rubbed their nose with food... Even when obtained from the wild as adults... They are very tame and docile frogs... Love them! When I was a child I would build towers for them to climb, and they would go to the top and simply perch.

JBear

godzillakid15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Wheeler
I gotta say those are awesome little frogs they are also quite adorable

Alex M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you should bite the bullet and feed them fruit flies, a single well loaded tub will keep many youngsters fed for a week, plus I see no need to culture as they'll soon be able to take larger prey. I breed both versicolor and chrysoscelis, and start them on FF, springtails and micro crickets - not sure I'd have the patience nor ability to remove the hind legs from the latter as was suggested above, neither is it needed as your young Hyla are quite capable of catching fully mobile crickets.

Cheers
Al

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Some updates...

Any idea why the tad in pic 3 and 7 is so lightly colored? There are 2 like that...

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2343 crop.jpg
    IMG_2343 crop.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2356 crop.jpg
    IMG_2356 crop.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2358 crop.jpg
    IMG_2358 crop.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2362 crop.jpg
    IMG_2362 crop.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2366 crop.jpg
    IMG_2366 crop.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2368 crop.jpg
    IMG_2368 crop.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2371 crop.jpg
    IMG_2371 crop.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 249

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
A few more pics...

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2373 crop.jpg
    IMG_2373 crop.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2377 crop.jpg
    IMG_2377 crop.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2378 crop.jpg
    IMG_2378 crop.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2381 crop.jpg
    IMG_2381 crop.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2385 crop.jpg
    IMG_2385 crop.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2386 crop.jpg
    IMG_2386 crop.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 263

ed_moyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ED MOYER
Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")

Ed!!! Great to hear from you!!! Thank you for the feedback! The tads were in a pool tarp covering their pool. The person was wanting to use their pool but didn't want to kill the tads. I took them on to raise until metamorphosis. I am keeping them in the garage in all new tubs to make sure there is no issues in transporting them back to the wild. I will keep a few, maybe 2. I started out with 31. Lost 1 to a gas bubble, the rest are morphing FAST... I just wanted to ensure the best health while they were in my care... I have been feeding them garden insects, to give them a good start prior to release.

JBear

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Update.

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2393 crop.jpg
    IMG_2393 crop.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2394 crop.jpg
    IMG_2394 crop.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2396 crop.jpg
    IMG_2396 crop.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2399 crop.jpg
    IMG_2399 crop.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 269

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while

Released all but 3. They were all well started with wild caught food. TY, the last set of pics were at the release point.

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • maddyb9903:
    Hello guys! I was wondering about nitrates in an axolotl tank. If there are 0 nitrates, will that harm the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    0 nitrates doesn't sound dangerous, but it does sound very unlikely if the tank is fully cycled. Are you positive you're performing the test correctly? If you're using the API one, that is by far the trickiest test to do right. If the reading is correct, I would guess that either your tank is not cycled, you just did like a 100% water change, or that you have plants sucking up the nitrates, but even those shouldn't leave you with 0.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dragonfire:
    0 is fine unless the tank isn't cycled. Most tanks definitely won't run at 0, but I've had fast growing emergent plants drop nutrients so low that other plants like floaters were choked out and began dying so it isn't impossible. Some less sensitive kits may read 0 but they are just not precise enough to give an accurate low level reading too.
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    Hey Yall my Axolotl has this like tail thats like a dent on the top, I was told it was meant stress but idk whats stressing out my Axolotl. The plants recently gotten moved since they were falling apart but like she's been eating/pooping fine and the temp and water tests are good for the Axolotl. So I don't really know whats causing her to be stress. Does anyone know anything?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Post a picture of the dent (in the "Sick Axolotl" thread) please
    +2
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    How do I do that? Im new to this website
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    nvm I found ot
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    *it
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    did it
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    SalamanderNick has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Skeemloc:
    Hey are any still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! I’m having an issue with my filter and was hoping for some suggestions. I use an aqua clear 20-50 gallon filter for my 20 gallon axolotl tank. It has worked great since I got it back in December! Recently though, I’ve noticed the flow of the water has turned into more of an intense trickle than a constant flow (if that makes any sense?) I thought it may be something was stuck in the filter or maybe the sponge needed to be swished around in tank water, so I did both of these and it still trickles. It’s a very strong trickle, so the tank is still getting good filtration. It is just so loud and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there’s a way to fix it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Hmm, I don't know much about those filters, and I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, but could it be simply that your filtration media is arranged in a different way? Or maybe you're losing water content to evaporation? Just throwing out ideas. 😁 Again, I don't really know much about that kind of filter
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Hello all. My male axolotl's cloaca hasn't been looking quite right for 13 days. When I first noticed it, I immediately checked the temperature of his tank and it was around 70-71. Way too warm for him, so I took him out and have had him tubbed in the basement ever since. The temperature of his water is now 64-65. The issue seems to be that one 'half' of his cloaca is flared out and has white fuzzy stuff on it. It almost looks like a bunch of little white spikes of hair. Only one half is this way. Sometimes said half is flared out almost all the way, and other times it's almost completely back inside of him. I had him in tea baths overnight for probably five days, and then a solid 24 hours of mild tea for around three days. I don't remember exactly, my apologies.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Since it was looking better (not flared out so I couldn't tell if it was still fuzzy) I put him back in plain, dechlorinated water. He gets daily water changes, always dechlorinated. The tea I used was plain black tea. The brand was Lipton and it came in a large box, purchased from the grocery store. Does anybody know what this could be? I found a couple old threads with a similar issue, but nobody ever replied to them. I can post a thread if you'd like some pictures, but they aren't very good. My camera was having trouble focusing and my axolotl kept moving.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hey guys! Just made a post asking for help with an injured eastern newt. I could really use some help. if you would read it, I would really appreciate 🙏😌
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nexbane:
    @Audrey22, A salt bath *might* be a good idea, but I have never heard of them used for anything but axolotls. I would think as simplistic of a setup as possible would be best. Are you a member of the newts & salamanders group on facebook? You might have better luck getting more information quickly there! lots of the same members as here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe and absorb through their skin like sallies? Thats what I'm afraid of. Because I don't want them to absorb salt if that will hurt them. Anyways, I'll look at Facebook too
    +2
    Unlike
  • gulickje:
    I need guidance… my lotls been struggling. How do i tell if theres anything noticably wrong woth Trudeau? I dont see a way to post a pic here. Hes got like a pinkish spine like down back but everything else looks normal i think. Trixie( my MEL) has been pretty good i think. Both in same tank. Eat same food etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @gulickje, could you make a thread in the sick axolotls section? You can put pictures there and it's easier for multiple people with axolotl knowledge to help you out. For now, we can't do much without seeing it and asking lots of questions. What is the water temperature? What's the tank like? (substrate, water conditions, any sharp decorations?) What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    Hello... I was wondering if someone could please check out the thread I posted, I’m genuinely concerned for my Axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    It’s under the axolotl section “ baby axolotl broken fingers ? “
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I saw it. It looks like the axie may have regrown those fingers after being nipped and they grew weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    Thank you for responding. His fingers were fine the day before I used the net, his fingers were perfectly fine and I don’t have any other axies so I knew he definitely he wasn’t nipped
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    When I noticed his little fingers were split, after I used the net
    +1
    Unlike
    JasPinturas: When I noticed his little fingers were split, after I used the net +1