Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding newly hatched axolotls

Aztec the axolotl

Reaction score
Hi guys! My two adult axolotls laid eggs and just recently they have hatched. I tried to hatch some brine shrimp to feed them but it didn't go very well. Someone who raised axolotls said he fed his newly hatched axolotls frozen brine shrimp smashed up really small and that they eat it and we're fine on it. So I'm wondering whether it would be ok to feed mine smashed up frozen brine shrimp/daphnia. Thanks.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Hi guys! My two adult axolotls laid eggs and just recently they have hatched. I tried to hatch some brine shrimp to feed them but it didn't go very well. Someone who raised axolotls said he fed his newly hatched axolotls frozen brine shrimp smashed up really small and that they eat it and we're fine on it. So I'm wondering whether it would be ok to feed mine smashed up frozen brine shrimp/daphnia. Thanks.
I can't really speak to the other options, tbh, but I assume they'd probably work. You might have trouble convincing them to eat food that's not moving; that's the only concern I see right off the bat. What kind of issues did you have with the brine shrimp? Perhaps we can troubleshoot.

Aztec the axolotl

Reaction score
I have been feeding them the frozen stuff for a couple of days and they are still alive so I guess they're eating it ? It's my first time hatching the brine shrimp and I only had a small amount hatch and I couldn't separate the hatched shrimp from the eggs. I gave what I could but I found that hatching them is quite hard. I don't mind putting in the effort to hatch the shrimp I am just not having much luck.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I know there are several hatchery devices you can buy online to help combat at least some of these issues (such as separating them)--perhaps these could be of help? I don't know what kind of set up you used previously, but I've found that the set up can really make or break it. There's also a lot of DIY things online, but that comes with it's own challenges.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1