Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding newt/salamander larvae baby snails

Ste Holmes

Reaction score
Does anyone ever feed baby snails to newt/salamander larvae? I imagine their shells are very soft as they are only a few days old but could they be a good source of calcium/protein? I've got 1000s of the little buggers hatching all the time. Are there any risks? My neurergus crocatus larvae are about 5-6cm long and take much bigger prey but if its a bad idea I wouldn't dream of risking it. Just curious if anyone has got any input.

They are ramshorn snails. Very prolific ramshorn snails.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_191238.jpg
    IMG_20210518_191238.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,261

xxianxx

Reaction score
I add snails to all of my tanks , except for xenopus as i dont trust them not to try and eat the adult snails and injure themselves. If i dont restock the tanks with adults the populations die out as the babys all get eaten and the adults eventually die of old age. The species i have are T.cristatus, T.marmaratus, T.pygmaeus, T.granulosus, P.waltl, I.a.alpestris, A.mexicanum, A.andersoni. All batter the snail colonies.

Ste Holmes

Reaction score
Wow thanks Ian! Just wanted to make sure first. I've got crocatus larvae that are developing nicely. And I got some ambystoma tigrinum off Mark that are absolute pigs but I wouldnt put the snails with them cause they're too small at the moment. Thanks for the response.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I just went and did a snail count in my shed, got zero in 15 tanks, only tank with snails is a ten gallon with 4 x2" ribbed in. Have to restock lol. The bigger phibs take out adult pond snails, so axolotl, andersons. I havent seen the adult ribbed do it but i expect they do. My colony of greater pond snails has disapeared, i imagine they died of old age as they are too big to get predated.

Ste Holmes

Reaction score
Zero!!! Well that answers that then. I'm glad I can make use of the little sods. Thanks for the info mate.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Probably best to avoid hard shelled species like malaysian trumpet snails and any species with a trap door, they are sharp and could cut an investigating newt or trap and drown them. Ask Mark about the £50 batch of adult ramshorns he seeded an A.andersoni tank with, only to get them all scoffed in 24hrs 😂😂😂😂

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!