Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding Pellets: Are these ok?

HappySkittles

Reaction score
Hello
this is my very first post here. I recently (maybe a week and a half ago) got 3 axolotl. i couldn't find any newt food or anything similar so i went looking at the fish food.

i have read hard pellets can be a pain for the axilotls to eat so i went with the only soft pellet food i could find: a omnivore/carnivore cichilid pellet. they have been eating just fine but i was wondering if this kind of food was ok. i tried looking for trout or salmon or whatever it was pellets that were suggest in my reading but couldnt find any.

i will be buying earthworms and different frozen foods (bloodworms, mysis, ect) VERY soon but i just wanted to make sure this pellet was ok for them too.

some more info
my axolotl are leucistic (sorry if i spelled that wrong)
their names are trident, polaris, and poseidon and they are happy (i guess?) in their 55 gallon tank.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I too had trouble sourcing the salmon pellets. I was informed these are exactly the same Zoo Med Aquatic Newt Food - Evolution Reptiles

I was recommended them by an American user so must be available to you...if not contact him his name is michael shrom and is a user on here he sells the salmon pellets not sure if he ships.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
i have a bare bottom tank and vac the bottom clean every 1-2 days (not really a FULL water change but its a few gallons to keep the bottom spotless)
these pellets also seem to be of a good quality as far as breaking up. sometimes i'll miss a pellet while cleaning and i'll see it the next day. it still has a firmness to it and doesn't just crumble up.

i just want to make sure its nutritionally ok for them.
Tropical Aquarium Fish Food: Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni Formula Flakes and Pellets

there is a link if anyone wanted to see the container.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Cool names! And they are in a 55 - awesome! Love to see pics sometime! ;)

I'm not too familiar with these particular pellets, but nutritionally, they seem pretty sound. Of course, pellets should not be a staple but used more as a supplement. Nothing is really better than live earthworms/nightcrawlers - these guys can be found at your local Wal-Mart. Your axies may be reluctant at first because of the size, but you can cut them and/or soak them. I also use red wigglers from PetsMart because some of mine just flat out refuse the big guys!

You may want to consider raising your own as it will be much more cost effective for you with three! I raise my own, they are pretty easy, and I have a full range of sizes for all my critters...(I have fire belly toads, a newt, kids, a zoo! lol)

I tried the bare bottom but find I and the axies like sand better...just a thought.

HappySkittles

Reaction score
yeah i figured the pellets would be a supplement.
like i said...going to be looking for some worms at walmart probably today...this one IS open 24/7 :p

how can you tell if they dont like a bare bottom? is there something they do in particular? i'd like to keep the bottom bare BUT if they don't like it i'd be more than willing to buy some and add it.

i have twitter and i post a lot to it. i have some pics here
Twitpic / Happy_Skittles

not a lot but its something.

oh and thanks for the quick replies everyone

HappySkittles

Reaction score
Well I went to the pet shop today and got a nice mix of foods.
Beefheart blood worms and red wrigglers
AND they had a single lotl left...so I snagged him/her.
So that's 4 for my 55 gallon tank. I won't be picking up any more axolotl...for THAT tank anyway haha

This one has lots of golden flecks on it's back in addition to the strip of black "freckles"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!