Feeding salamanders

I

innes

O.K. I know what to feed salamanders (crickets & other insects)
and I know not to put them in the salamander tank.
I used to keep a tiger salamander and to feed it I put it in a large bucket with a few crickets and it would walk round and eat them all, even the dead ones.
now I have a spotted salamander and I do the same, but it doesn't want to eat as much as the tiger did. It won't walk around in the bucket and it relys on the crickets being on/right next to its mouth before it eats them.
This process takes ages and my salamander doesn't actiually eat that much by the time I am sick of it and throw the remaining crickets out.
Any suggestions?
how do you guys feed yours?
& how much?

I have maculatum also. They are newly morphed (a month or so) and I feed them pinheads. They are the most boring sallie I have. They sit, always hide (of course) and put their tail up when touched. If I uncover them, they hide again (within minutes). I only seen one guy eat a pinhead once (in front of me) SO I DO (don't shoot) leave a couple pins in there so they can eat them at night or when they feel like it.

*I tried leaving a waxworm in there, and it disappeared (on two occasions) and I never found it or a cocoon (LOL) So by "thinking" he looked bigger, I assume (shoot again) one or both ate it.

Tigers are allot more fun and friendly and EAT tons of crickets, worms, etc..

Sorry if I didn't help, but thought I would let you know what another person goes thru with maculatum's.

Steve

Steve, give them some time
happy.gif

Metamorphs are often very shy for a month or two. Trust me, I've kept lots of adult maculatum before and they get every bit as tame and active as tigers.

mine was only bought 4 days ago and I think it might be newly morphed (but I'm not too sure)
It has eaten a couple of small crickets when I have placed then right in front of his mouth.
is it likely he will behave as my tiger sal did and have a larger appitite?
also how often are you ment to feed them?
I always went for once per day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back