Feeding setup

S

samuel

im starting to feed my sal with live food, i got theseand im not shure if the way ill try to feed the sals is the right one,

(Message edited by perrocabronus on November 21, 2006)

ill cut the bottom of a disposable galss 2 cm deep
73650.jpg
is it ok?, i guess the worms will come out, what other way i can use. im placing the cup sumerged in the earth and im planing to leave 3 or 4 live worms

(Message edited by perrocabronus on November 22, 2006)

I wouldn't use the cup bottom as the cut edges will probably be sharp and may injure your newt. You can use a small tupperware, clean food tub (like a margarine container) weighted down with a few rocks.

I've also heard of people placing whole jars in their tank with earthworms/bloodworms in the jar. The worms can't escape but the newts can crawl inside to eat.

I have used the lids of a large applesauce jars in the past. It has very smooth edges and doesn't need rocks to keep it from floating. If you decied to use this method make sure you wash it really good (no soap).

Most metal jar lids will rust, so watch out for that. Metals and amphibians don't mix.

plastic peanutbutter lids should work too if your looking for a small dish with similar height dimensions as that plastic cup

i wonder if anyone else collects lids from small juice and drink containers(like gatorade)? friends and family think i'm nuts when i finish a gatorade for example and put the top in my back pocket. primarily use them to hold cricket gel, but also for larger worm i need to cut up

How about making everyone at work give you their plastic water bottles when they're done: "I need them for my fruit fly cultures"?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back