Feeding strategy for newly hatched axolotl larvae.

Vesp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Vesp
Brine shrimp has given me nothing but trouble. I can't properly separate the shells, and in the process of trying to remove them their hatch rare drops dramatically.

While I've had great luck with wild caught daphnia, that source has ran out this time of year. So now I'm on the search for an easier more sustainable way to raise axolotls from eggs.

Tell me if you think this feeding strategy/regime is practical and how to improve it:
Upon hatching feed them a mixture of:

Walter worms
Microworms
Vinegar eels, and
Banana worms

Then once they get larger feed them small chopped blackworms.

This will be used to get them larger up to and beyond the size when they can eat earth worms etc.

My main concern is there enough nutritional value in, and are the Microworms and vinegar eels big enough to feed them until they can eat small chopped pieces of blackworms?

Or am I able to feed the very newly hatched axolotls chopped up blackworm directly? Seems like they would be a bit large.

Any great techniques on the best way to consistently get small pieces of blackworms for baby axolotls?

I have managed to get some decpsulated BS eggs, I have a daphnia culture set up, I've got some white worms and vinegar eels on order. I've heard vinegar eels are OK but not as a staple. I already have a well established worm farm. (my eggs are due to hatch in about 10 days)

My strategy will be:
week 1 - BBS
week 2&3 - Daphnia and vinegar eels
Weeks 4-8 White worms and baby earthworms (chopped if needed), with daphnia.
Weeks 8+ small earthworms and bloodworms

All timings subject to actual size and groeth rates of course, but you get the idea.

You can try grindal. They are bigger than microworms and smaller than whiteworms. Most small fish love them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back